Moderator Control Panel ]

Lace makers in Nottingham / Calais

Showcase your research and chat about the latest issues within the field of local history

Re: Lace makers in Nottingham / Calais

Postby ChristineS » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:05 am

Angela

Thank you for your suggestion :)

I have been on another site some time back but can't recall if it is the same and ploughed through pages and pages of names hoping to find either Marsh or something like Verquier but did not have any luck.

As I can't be sure if it was the same as this I shall plough through these pages as well in hope....

Thank you :)
ChristineS

Postby pete25 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:59 am

Very interesting.

My 3x great grandmother can be found on the Macclesfield, Cheshire 1841 census recorded as a lace maker. The rest of the family are Silk Weavers.

I've contributed here because now I will research lace makers and what skills etc were needed in the making of lace. I've researched my Silk Weaver ancestry and now will focus on lace.

Kind regards,

Pete.

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
pete25

Postby ourkiwifamilytree » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:25 am

Hi Christine, I have Ann Woods date of death as 18 Aug 1844 in Calais, France (due to broken neck). It is based on the research another family member has done.
Amanda
ourkiwifamilytree

Postby ChristineS » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:45 am

Hi again Amanda - as per other post. Same applies :)

FYI there has been no written proof or documents that I can find (and I have searched for several years and asked many people) that verifies the 'fall and broken neck' for Ann Wood. I did find several mentions of this claim on peoples trees, but no proof. Some facts posted of where this occurred in France, did not add up geographically . When I queried this with the posters I received no reply. If you find any proof I'd appreciate you leave a link or where to find the proof on this question and forum so that others can see proof of this claim so they don't spend years hunting as I have done:) I would love to have this fact either proved by documentation or dismissed as guess work :)
ChristineS

Postby GreenHammer » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:22 pm

Hello, I'm looking for any detail on the surname Greensmith in Calais. I seem to remember many years ago finding out about one living there about 1841 but can't find any information anywhere. Anyone help please?
GreenHammer

Previous

Return to Local history