Moderator Control Panel ]

Lace makers in Nottingham / Calais

Showcase your research and chat about the latest issues within the field of local history

Re: Lace makers in Nottingham / Calais

Postby Frrussell » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:40 pm

Hi Rosie
I am searching for my family of Calais Lacemakers. Some returned to Nottingham and first appeared in the 1901 census but I beleive several generations lived in France and I have no idea of their first names before they went to France. My GGrandfather was John William Russell born in France about 1867. His sister Mary A Russell(married George Peet another Lacemaker) was 10/11 years older and was also born in France. I am stuck with my tree as with no first names for Gggrandfather, nor being cetain if they came from Nottingham originally I dont know where else to look. My Ggrandfather married Rose Blanche Richard (French Subject b.1871) and my Grandfather Thomas George was born in France too in 1898.
My Ggrandfather was in the 1901 and 1911 England Census but I cannot find anything after then (death certs etc) but family rumour suggests he was in the 'Foreign Legion' . I wonder if at the outbreak of war he returned to France to fight for the country he was born in, even though he was a British Subject.

I do hope that some of your info matches some of my relatives.
Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give me.

Kind regards
Frank
Frrussell

Postby ChristineS » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:23 pm

Hello everyone

I am on the hunt for information of my GG Grandmother Louise (Louisa) Verquier from France.

Her father's name was possibly Jean Pierre Verquier. Louisa was born in France around 1820. My great, great, grandfather was Isaac Marsh. He was a lace maker from England and was working in France and had to return to England because of the French revolution. This would have been around 1844-1848. Louisa left France and travelled to England probably with Isaac and possibly to help with Isaac's 5 children. Isaac's English wife Anne tragically died from a fall while in France in 1844. (I have been unable to find proof of this)

Louisa married Isaac Marsh in 1848 in Derbyshire England, and with the five children emigrated to New Zealand in 1851.

I am trying to locate relatives/information on Louisa's with the hope of learning more about her life in France. Are any of you able to help with any information?

Regards Christine
Last edited by ChristineS on Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChristineS

Postby ksouthall » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:39 pm

Hello Christine,

The French Revolution took place in 1789 which doesn't fit in with your ancestor's time line, unless I have misread things.

What records do you have for your ancestor as more details might be useful.

Katherine
ksouthall

Postby AdrianB38 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:25 pm

ksouthall wrote:... The French Revolution took place in 1789 ...

Indeed but lots of uprisings happened across Europe in 1848 - including France - so that year may be key.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Postby christinehilsden » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:00 am

Hi Rosie,
I would love to know if there are any mention of my family in the Calais records. My 3rd Great Grandmother was born in Calais in 1849, her name was Harriet Wood, she was the daughter of John and Ann Wood (who were lacemakers from Nottingham). By 1851 they were back in Nottingham.
They had 5 other children all born before they left Nottingham.
Any information at all would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Christine
christinehilsden

Postby ChristineS » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:41 pm

Hello Christine
This may be just a coincidence but If you look back to my post you will find I mentioned Isaac Marsh's first wife Ann
"Isaac's English wife Anne tragically died from a fall while in France in 1844. (I have been unable to find proof of this)"

Her last name was Wood, and I have Thomas Wood as her father. Isaac was from Nottingham and in the lace making trade so I wonder if there is a family connection?

Do you have an Anne Wood in your tree?

I have not delved into the Wood family as my direct line is through Louisa the 2nd wife.

Just a thought ;)
ChristineS

Postby ChristineS » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:48 pm

ksouthall wrote:Hello Christine,

The French Revolution took place in 1789 which doesn't fit in with your ancestor's time line, unless I have misread things.

What records do you have for your ancestor as more details might be useful.

Katherine

Hello Katherine
My dates are fairly accurate as I have census - marriage - boat passenger records etc. - and I trust my Aunty's research ;)

It is the Verquier factor that I am having trouble with :roll:

Everything after the return from France is well recorded.
ChristineS

Postby ksouthall » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:43 am

Christine,

Is it possible that Louisa was working for Isaac and Anne in France and that they all returned together? Have you checked English death and burial records in case Anne died over here? Even if she died in France, they may have brought her body back to England and had her buried at home. It is a long shot but you never know. Sometimes family stories change slightly over time, a bit like Chinese whispers.

Katherine
Last edited by ksouthall on Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
ksouthall

Postby ChristineS » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:45 pm

Katherine

Yes :)

I try to be careful regarding fact / fiction / non fiction and work on known facts, probabilities and possibilities :) and also know how when death certificates where written up in days gone by when the question comes up - 'where was she born' and the answer comes back from family, friends, 'wasn't she born in France?' then bingo... it becomes fact on the certificate ;)

With Isaac and Anne I have a record gap between 1844-1848.
Records confirm that child #4 was born in England in 1841.
Records confirm child #5 was born in France in 1844.
Records confirm Isaac married Louise(a) in 1848 in England and was a widower.

I have 3 different spellings on records (1 on the banns & another on the marriage!) for Louise's last name but have search them all and have came up with Verquier as being the most probable as there are no references to the other two spellings anywhere.

The family rumour is that Anne died from a fall while in France - presumably Calais, as this was the lace making district where they would have been living. I can find no record of Anne's death anywhere, and France is such a difficult place to research. I am currently trawling through the Calais census of 1846 is hope of finding their names. I'm on page 121 of 183, its painful :(

I would assume that yes Anne would have been buried in England, even if she had died in France, but alas, no records found in either country.

Yes, I do think that If Anne did die in France and Isaac had 5 children to look after he would have hired someone to help him, if not even before Anne's death, so its a good assumption that Louise was a nanny of sorts before their marriage and or Anne's death.

Sorry its so long winded, but that's where I'm at, at the moment.

Oh for a Verquier family member to magically appear and confirm or deny all this ....

Christine
ChristineS

Postby loiseau22 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:48 am

Here is a link to the censuses ("recensements") for the town of Calais
http://www.archivespasdecalais.fr/Archi ... population

If you start to type "Calais" into the box marked "Commune", you will see the town's name pop up.
Then in the box below marked "Date", select "Entre" (=between), and insert a start and finish year.
This will bring up a whole load of census listings that you can choose from, but you would have to plough through them to find a person you were interested in, and Calais has quite a large population.

Angela
loiseau22

PreviousNext

Return to Local history