Moderator Control Panel ]

Was this an army uniform?

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Was this an army uniform?

Postby anthlacey » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:11 pm

Great Grandfather.jpg
Great Grandfather.jpg (231.73 KiB) Viewed 2976 times
Hello,
I have a conundrum with the enclosed photograph of my great grandfather on my paternal grandmothers side, Francis (Frank) Evans (b.1875 Silverdale, Staffs; d.1931, Rhosrobin, Wrexham, Denbighshire).

This picture shows him in uniform, however, we only know he was a Coal Miner, later a Hewer. We don't think he was in WWI (being a miner), so why was he in uniform in this picture, and what uniform could it be? He would have been too old in WWI. He looks about 20-25(?) in the picture, he was married to Mary Jane Jones in 1901 when he was 25. We have no record of his family, so we have no clue to his whereabouts between his birth and his appearance on the 1901 Census as a boarder in Rhosrobin. (updated: see below).

Any clues might help.

Thank you.

Anthony Lacey
Last edited by anthlacey on Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anthlacey

Re: Was this an army uniform?

Postby AncestorHunter » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:15 pm

Hi Anthony
I am sorry I don't know much about army uniforms, but I may have some other info of use. Were Francis/Frank's parents called David and Elizabeth? If so I have found him in the 1881 and 1891 census. I also have definitely his 1911 census entry complete with his signature. I decided not to type out all the info without you confirming as it would take some time! In the 1911 census Frank declared that he could speak both English and Welsh which made me wonder if either he moved to Wales at an early age or one or both of his parents were Welsh - Bingo - or at least I hope so!
If you could post an answer regarding his parentage I will happily type the info out, or if you are able to post an e-mail address on this site (can't remember the rules offhand) I will happily send you the links from the website to the census info.
Yours
Ancestorhunter
AncestorHunter

Postby AncestorHunter » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:22 pm

Hi again Anthony
I've just discovered the 'fiends and foes' feature, I have added you to my friends list and if you do the same to my username you could send me your e-mail in a private message to avoid any spamming.
Yours
Ancestorhunter
AncestorHunter

Postby anthlacey » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:11 pm

Hi,
Many thanks for looking at my request and checking my ancestor, Francis Evans.

I've had a breakthrough this week which has confirmed his birthplace and his parents - born 1875 Scot Hay, Audley, Silverdale, Staffs. Shortly after him and his siblings were born they returned to Holywell, North Wales, where his father John and his mother Esther came from.

I have the family from 1881 Census onwards, but will have to look hard to trace and confirm his parents births and whereabouts before they were married.

Thank you very much for looking, I'm on Ancestry and have access to all documentation.

It seemed he was a miner all his life, so it still seems strange we have this picture of him in uniform.
anthlacey

Postby loiseau22 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:55 am

I suppose he could have been in uniform in WWI - he would have been 39 in 1914?
Looks like a corporal's stripe.

He may have been involved in tunnelling for the laying of mines - many former miners were.

Angela
loiseau22

Postby anthlacey » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:11 am

loiseau22 wrote:I suppose he could have been in uniform in WWI - he would have been 39 in 1914?
Looks like a corporal's stripe.

He may have been involved in tunnelling for the laying of mines - many former miners were.

Angela

Thanks for your input Angela, he was still a miner until he was killed in Llay Colliery, nr Wrexham when he was 55. I've never found any army records for him, so it's still a mystery. My grandmother never mentioned any service in the army for her father, so we'll keep looking.

A
anthlacey

Postby snaphappy » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:19 pm

Your image shows a lance corporal serving in the British Army during the 1st ww period. Unfortunately there is no ensigina on show to say which regiment he was serving in at the time that this photograph was taken.
snaphappy

Postby anthlacey » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:34 pm

Many thanks for your information
anthlacey

Return to Photo identification