Moderator Control Panel ]

Dating army uniform

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Dating army uniform

Postby Alston » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:28 pm

Hi
This is a photo of my Wife's Grandfather Robert Young who was born in 1874 and I think joined the Army Medical Corps. He may have been too old for WW1 as I have not been able to find any records of
him. As he has a cane beside him, was he an officer? I would like some help in dating the photo and
regiment.
Many thanks
Jim
Attachments
Robert Young a.jpg
Robert Young a.jpg (82.38 KiB) Viewed 1707 times
Alston

Re: Dating army uniform

Postby snaphappy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:53 pm

Your photograph shows a Private who was a member of the Territorial Army who had signed papers to say that he was prepared to serve overseas when needed. The small circular badge on his upper arm denotes that he was involved in the medical side of the army so, although the badge on his service cap can not be seen clearly, I would say that this would be your wife's grandfather. As for the cane it is more than likely to be a walking out stick rather than a walking cane. These sticks were used by soldiers when out of barracks and had no real purpose other than keeping their hands occupied and not in their pockets.
snaphappy

Postby ksouthall » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:34 am

snaphappy wrote:As for the cane it is more than likely to be a walking out stick rather than a walking cane. These sticks were used by soldiers when out of barracks and had no real purpose other than keeping their hands occupied and not in their pockets.

The cane may not have belonged to your wife's grandfather, it could have been a studio prop.
ksouthall

Postby gedparker » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:08 pm

Hi
The photographer was R Liddle Elliott of New Washington Co Durham, now Concord Washington Tyne & Wear, who is in a 1914 directory of the town. See attached photo with the same props (I think mine is reversed).
Attachments
6330 [Williams] soldier woman.jpg.jpg
6330 [Williams] soldier woman.jpg.jpg (56.07 KiB) Viewed 1575 times
gedparker

Return to Photo identification