Moderator Control Panel ]

ww1 uniform identity??

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

ww1 uniform identity??

Postby fionamarie » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:13 am

Hi,
Can anyone help? This a pic of my great Uncle Frederick James Pettit, about 1917. Does anyone have the slightest clue about his uniform. He was born in Bromley Kent, and I cannot find any info about his military career....
Thanks in anticipation......Fionamarie
Attachments
what uniform ww1.jpg
what uniform ww1.jpg (93.68 KiB) Viewed 1691 times
fionamarie

Re: ww1 uniform identity??

Postby Bill J Parker » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:46 pm

Fionamarie,

Have you tried searching the First World War medal index cards at TNA or Ancestry.co.uk? If the picture was taken in 1917, then there's a high chance he would have served in France or Belgium and therefore entitled to (at least) a British War Medal and Victory medal.

I did a quick search myself and found two Frederick Pettits (serving with the East Kent Regiment and Royal Warwickshire Regt) as well as two Frederick J Pettits and many F Pettits. I haven't researched any further, but you may be able to eliminate some of these names if they were invalided out or were killed in action ... and if pension records exist for some of them, then addresses, spouse details may enable you to narrow down to one candidate.

By the way, do not assume that he has to be the soldier serving with East Kent Regt. because he was living in Kent.

I cannot see any insignia or badges on the photograph that would help at all in identifying the uniform.

Hope this helps,

Bill
Bill J Parker

Re: ww1 uniform identity??

Postby Sylcec » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:00 am

Uniforms aren't really my 'thing' - but the man in the photo appears to be wearing riding boots, and his trousers somewhat like jodphurs in that they are wide at the top, but seem to be tapered at about knee level so they fit into the boots. If he wasn't riding a horse, maybe this uniform was used for riding a motorcycle?

I read in another recent posting a reference to the buttons on the jacket not being polished - but can't remember what this signified!

I'm sure someone else will come up with the answer.
Sylcec

Return to Photo identification