Moderator Control Panel ]

Photo of headstone - where buried?

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Photo of headstone - where buried?

Postby alastair_kelly » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:43 pm

Hi,
I was sent an old photo of a family headstone by a Canadian branch of our family. They do not know where the photo was taken but it will very likely be in/around Glasgow, not Canada.

The grave contains my 2xgreat grandmother Mary Sharp (died 10 Jan 1904, at Belvidere Hsopital, Glasgow, from smallpox), 2 children, Joseph & Henry, aged 11 months and 10 days respectively, and my 2xgreat grandfather's second wife Mary Ann Douglas (died 6 may 1920, at 31 Elm Street Glasgow, from Cerebral Hemorrhage & Hemiplegia).

My 2xgreat grandfather William John Kelly died himself 11 years after his second wife in 1931, at 31 Birth Street Glasgow, so I would assume that if the headstone in the photo is in Glasgow, he may well be buried in the same graveyard.

How would I go about finding out places of burial, short of wandering every graveyard in Glasgow (considering I live in Portsmouth)? Any help/advice is greatly appreciated...
Attachments
Sign.JPG
Sign.JPG (67.58 KiB) Viewed 3634 times
alastair_kelly

Re: Photo of headstone - where buried?

Postby alastair_kelly » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:12 pm

OK, I contacted the Glasgow Council regarding a search and they said it would cost a £61 search fee :shock: for EACH grave; or I could search the records in person for free at the Mitchell Library in Charing Cross Glasgow.

This is a long shot but does anyone live/work or know anyone who lives/works around the corner from the Mitchell library? I live on the IOW so 600 miles is a bit out of the question to pop by on a lunchbreak :?
alastair_kelly

Postby Sylcec » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:45 am

£61 per grave?! That's the canny Scots for you!
Have been madly googling, and come up with almost nothing - no doubt you have already done the same. However, for reference I found:
http://www.southernnecropolis.com/ which may be worth exploring - however, you may do better by joining the Glasgow and West of Scotland F.H.S. http://www.gwsfhs.org.uk/content/projects.aspx
However, I have long been a fan of the Rootsweb.com mailing lists for getting help - there is a list for Glasgow; see details here
http://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/index/intl/SCT/SCT-GLASGOW.html

Did you find the long list of cemeteries & crematoria for Glasgow at:
http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/Residents/BirthDeathMarriage_Citizenship/Death/Burialgrounds/ ? I note that the address given for enquiries at the bottom of that page is:
Cemeteries & Crematoria Registrar
20 Trongate
Glasgow
G1 5ES
Phone:0141 287 3961
E-mail: les@glasgow.gov.uk

Good luck; Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby alastair_kelly » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:41 pm

Hi Sylvia,
Many thanks for the link with the list of cemeteries, I hadn't seen that. The dates of 'first burial' rule many of them out immediately which narrows my search. I have emailed "les" @glasgow to see if I can appeal to his better nature. I don't expect to research my family for free (have probably spent in the region of £150-200 so far), but £61 per search is taking the p*. If all else fails, my father will likely be in Glasgow before the end of summer anyway and he has said he will search at the Mitchell.
alastair_kelly

Postby Annie08 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:17 pm

Hi,
I don't know 'Glasgow' at all, so please forgive me if this 'avenue' is not appropriate. Is Glasgow divided into Parishes or Councils, or burial areas, etc? I needed to find out burial info and got my information for free from a local parish council just by ringing the Parish Clerk (albeit the number was for those ringing to complain about headstone safety checking) Perhaps they thought if they could get my details they'd get payment for headstone repair. I got info I wanted but never gave any info about myself. Anyway, just a thought.

Annie08
Annie08

Postby hecate » Wed May 26, 2010 4:09 pm

Hi,
Belvidere was an infectious diseases hospital and the vast majority of its deceased patients were buried at Sandymount cemetery due to its proximity.Ofcourse,I don't know if this is definitely the case for your family but it might be a starting point for you.
hecate

Postby dizzybint » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:32 pm

Belvidere was right next to St Peters RC graveyard also known as Dalbeth. I was over looking for someones ancestors just last week and a lovely man in the office there will help if you have a lair number. Janefield was near Parkhead not far from Belividere which was a mixed graveyard.. Sandymount isnt that far away either.
dizzybint

Postby Past Times » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:40 am

I have always found the Mitchell Library to be very helpful and have emailed them several times for look ups, which they have always done within a week or so with no charge! The only time I have paid anything was for photocopies, so under £2.00 including postage. However, they don't take pament over the phone, so you have to send a cheque or postal order.

It would be worth emailing them to ask if they could search the Register for you and since you have a specific date of death it would not take long to look up a burial within a week or two after that date. I feel sure they would be able to help you.

Tracy
Quaerentes Semper Familia Generationes
Past Times

Return to Photo identification