Moderator Control Panel ]

Census Statistics from 1801

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Census Statistics from 1801

Postby Sylcec » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:53 am

There is a wonderful site hosted by the University of Essex: www.histpop.org
It contains digitisations of all census reports from 1801, but note NOT the enumeration schedules.

One of the values of the Histpop site is, in my opinion, in the statistical breakdown by parish provided for the early census - so that for 1801 there is an ecclesiastic return which gives the numbers of baptisms, marriages and burials every 10 years since 1700 by parish. Notes are added to indicate if years are missing from the register or there is other deficiency. it is therefore particularly useful if you have ancestors from rural villages, to get an idea of the size of the population when they were there.

There is also a search function, and I have found the example search "East India Company" useful in locating where the company employees were living in Britain.
Sylcec

Re: Census Statistics from 1801

Postby andy11 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:49 am

I was able to open the web page from your link. Suggest you try it again as there is an informative page on Brighton's workhouses.
andy
andy11

Return to Genealogy chat