Moderator Control Panel ]

News on the American series

From Bill Oddie to Ruby Wax, have your say on past episodes of Who Do You Think You Are? here

Re: News on the American series

Postby ksouthall » Sat May 01, 2010 4:25 am

Sylcec wrote:As for the 2 x Aussie series, I expect that the 'average person' in the UK a few years ago would have known Cathy Freeman (aboriginal Olympic runner), Jack Thompson (actor in many things, eg, film Breaker Morant); Christine Anu (pop singer).

Sorry but I have only heard of Cathy Freeman, not the other two. Mind you, I'd happily watch anyone's story as long as it is interesting.

The latest news on the US series is that it has been put on hold here which is a shame. Perhaps it will end up being shown on BBC2 instead of BBC1. I would still like to see it, despite the reviews already posted on here by those who have been able to see it.
ksouthall

Postby Emmeline » Sun May 02, 2010 7:39 pm

I must admit I haven't heard of any of them but I'd still watch the programmes. I find the social history aspect of them just as interesting as any "scandals" uncovered. That's why I'd like to see them do a programme on Michael Parkinson. We all have our fair share of ag labs etc in our trees and I think it would be interesting to see how the average family lived.

I'm really disappointed about the US series. Hopefully it won't be too long before it hits our screens.
Emmeline

Postby Sylcec » Wed May 05, 2010 11:45 pm

Hi all - just thought I'd let you know I watched the Lisa Kudrow episode last night - despite it receiving a terrible panning in the reviews! I found her a much more natural subject and enjoyed the story even though it only looked at the circumstances of her gt grandmother's death in the holocaust and then finding relatives alive in Gydinia (spelling?) Poland.

However, I think what is going to be an ongoing irritation in following this series is the constant re-capping of what was covered before the ad break after each ad break and the introduction of what is going to happen after the next ad-break! Surely even American citizens have sufficient recall to be able to follow a program around the breaks. It really does limit the amount of new material they are able to include about any of the subjects.
Cheers, Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby Emmeline » Thu May 06, 2010 4:07 pm

Sylcec wrote:However, I think what is going to be an ongoing irritation in following this series is the constant re-capping of what was covered before the ad break after each ad break and the introduction of what is going to happen after the next ad-break! Surely even American citizens have sufficient recall to be able to follow a program around the breaks. It really does limit the amount of new material they are able to include about any of the subjects.
Cheers, Sylvia

Oooh, that doesn't sound good. I hate programmes which assume I only have the attention span of a goldfish. Heirhunters is a bit like that.

I would've thought that the series would be very successful in the USA considering that finding their roots is such a popular hobby.
Emmeline

Postby Editor » Fri May 07, 2010 9:00 am

The re-capping after ad breaks has been removed for the UK version of the US series. The BBC has even put in some more historic background to fill in the gaps made by the ad breaks and (I think personally) made the episodes even better. It's a real shame that the series has been put on hold. I wish I could understand what decision processes these schedulers go through because I can't think of a good reason to pull it. If you sign up for our e-newsletter then we'll make sure that, if when it does come to our TV screens you won't miss it.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby Emmeline » Fri May 07, 2010 12:28 pm

Hi Sarah - that sounds better. I've found that more and more programmes are doing this recap thing every five minutes so it's good to know the programmes have been "doctored". Like you, I can't understand how the schedulers work these things out especially when you look at the amount of rubbish/repeats that do make it to the screen. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long :D
Emmeline

Postby Sylcec » Fri May 07, 2010 2:18 pm

Editor wrote:The re-capping after ad breaks has been removed for the UK version of the US series.

Lucky you! I think the style of program is a function of whether it is being shown by a commercial or public broadcaster channel. Unfortunately the worst of the commercial channels got hold of the US WDYTYA here. The home-grown and British versions are shown on a different channel.

We don't get "heir hunters" here (except maybe on payTV, which I don't have), but sounds interesting.
Sylcec

Postby ksouthall » Sat May 08, 2010 12:16 pm

Emmeline wrote:
Sylcec wrote:However, I think what is going to be an ongoing irritation in following this series is the constant re-capping of what was covered before the ad break after each ad break and the introduction of what is going to happen after the next ad-break!
Sylvia

Oooh, that doesn't sound good. I hate programmes which assume I only have the attention span of a goldfish. Heirhunters is a bit like that.

Lots of programmes seem to do this. I think programme schedulers might be assuming that people flick between channels during most programmes, so try and get them interested during channel hopping. I must admit, if I'm watching ITV I usually flick through the channels during the advert breaks as there are so many of them. It is very annoying if you do watch a prorgamme from start to finish though. Luckily BBC doesn't have adverts.
ksouthall

Postby marhold52 » Fri May 28, 2010 7:32 am

Ezzie Bromwich wrote::oops: I will say I as an American and a genealogist I was not enthused over the program with Sarah Parker. Not to say I was not happy that she found some family but...where and when did the information become found. Who paid the researchers to research and come up with the information? From watching the program one would think you just walked into the library/archives or what ever and just said the name and recieved all the information they could find on the subject. We all know that is not true...and her mother what was that all about..

I would rather see someone one has no idea and watch as he goes about gathering information from different places. Not someone that stands with their hands out and it misses and falls in their lap.
I am sorry but I did not enjoy it ..

I totally agree with the above comments - oh to have all the research done and dusted and just handed over!
marhold52

Postby Emmeline » Fri May 28, 2010 12:40 pm

marhold52 wrote:
Ezzie Bromwich wrote::oops: I will say I as an American and a genealogist I was not enthused over the program with Sarah Parker. Not to say I was not happy that she found some family but...where and when did the information become found. Who paid the researchers to research and come up with the information? From watching the program one would think you just walked into the library/archives or what ever and just said the name and recieved all the information they could find on the subject. We all know that is not true...and her mother what was that all about..

I would rather see someone one has no idea and watch as he goes about gathering information from different places. Not someone that stands with their hands out and it misses and falls in their lap.
I am sorry but I did not enjoy it ..

I totally agree with the above comments - oh to have all the research done and dusted and just handed over!

In some ways that would be great but I suppose half the fun (I keep telling myself!) is the finding it out yourself. Also, I don't know about anyone else, but sometimes I feel a bit choked up when I find the death of a young child or baby especially if it's happened before in the same family. I know it's silly and I'm not sure I'd want cameras on me during these silly moments :?
Emmeline

PreviousNext

Return to Previous series of Who Do You Think You Are?