Moderator Control Panel ]

News on the American series

From Bill Oddie to Ruby Wax, have your say on past episodes of Who Do You Think You Are? here

Re: News on the American series

Postby jobarnes » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:45 am

I was disappointed to find that it wasn't on last night too

Can anyone say when it will be on in UK Please

Thanks
jobarnes

Looking for Clark,Craik, Neave, Bowman, Stewart,Tulloch, Liddell, Thomson, Stronach mostly Scotland but Australia,NZ, Canada, and USA ,
jobarnes

Postby pre1837 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:10 am

See`Sarah's posting today.
Interested in the surname SNELL circa 1910, Middlesex. and Claudia Vail nee Snell, living and married in Canada from about 1912/16.

Any information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
pre1837

Postby phantomsteve » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:30 pm

jobarnes wrote:I was disappointed to find that it wasn't on last night too

Can anyone say when it will be on in UK Please

Thanks

It's not in the next two weeks, anyway - and TV schedules are not finalised beyond that.

However, the same thing happened with "History Cold Case" - which is now starting on 6th May instead of the April(?) date the magazine gave.

It's a bit of a pain, but as I say, although TV companies have an idea of when they are going to broadcast shows, it is only finalised 14 days before broadcast!

Steve
phantomsteve

Postby Annie08 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm

So that's when History Cold Case is going to be on - I thought I'd missed that too.

Thank you for mentioning that series - I'm looking forward to that one too.

Annie08
Annie08

Postby steve bannister 1 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:28 am

Wow, really thought that the UK would get it before us over here in Australia, but it starts over here this week on Channel 9.

Channel Nine are hyping it to death, but the reviews don't look too good!

Steve.
Researching:
BAPTISTE - Tobago, then moved to Glasgow in 1870's
YOUNG - Glasgow
GALLER - Austria
DEASE - Ireland (Westmeath/Meath/Coole/Kildare)
BEARDMORE - Newcastle Under Lyme, Staffordshire
HAIGH - London (Originally Halifax, Yorkshire)
steve bannister 1

Postby Sylcec » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:09 am

Amazingly the US episode on Sarah Jessica Parker showed last night on Channel 9 (an Australian commercial channel) - yet on SBS we are presently watching the English series which showed about 15 months ago in the UK!

The quality difference is like chalk (US) and cheese (UK) and frankly if the SJP episode is the standard I may not bother watching more. There were some interesting aspects in the story - the ancestor who had gone from Ohio to the Californian goldfields leaving a pregnant wife behind, and some records were unearthed about him. But then there was this massive leap from a 2nd gt grandfather to a 10th gt grandmother involved in the witch trials in Salem, Mass. (Granted, I did dose off at the crucial moment, but I doubt they could have covered all those intervening generations in 5 mins!)

I found SJP extremely irritating - she managed to maintain a big cheesy smile even when saying she was sad or devastated by a particular bit of news about an ancestor.

In summary, this is not a patch on the UK or Australian series of WDYTYA. Will look forward to other opinions.
Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby Emmeline » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:49 pm

Does anyone know if there are any plans to show the Australian series over here in the UK?
Emmeline

Postby phantomsteve » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:46 pm

Emmeline wrote:Does anyone know if there are any plans to show the Australian series over here in the UK?

I'm not positive, but I think the BBC will want to see how the US version goes down - I think they are thinking "the US ones are almost all world-known personalities" - I don't know about the Oz version, are they people that your average person in the UK will have heard of?
phantomsteve

Postby Sylcec » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:08 am

Umm - does it really matter Steve? :o

Frankly I had no idea who many of the starlets on the UK series were, yet still enjoyed most of the episodes of WDYTYA. I suspect that I also won't know who are the starlets of the US series either (although I sort of knew the name 'Sarah Jessica Parker' - I had to ask my 26 y.o daughter who she was!)

As for the 2 x Aussie series, I expect that the 'average person' in the UK a few years ago would have known Cathy Freeman (aboriginal Olympic runner), Jack Thompson (actor in many things, eg, film Breaker Morant); Christine Anu (pop singer). Other, sporting personalities, were unknown to me, but some of their stories were nonetheless fascinating.
typed in some indignation :shock: ; ;)
Sylvia
Sylcec

Postby phantomsteve » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:20 am

Sylcec wrote:Umm - does it really matter Steve? :o

Well, to us it may not matter, but the BBC will consider it an important factor, as they are looking for ratings!

With the UK subjects, I cannot think of a single one which I hadn't heard of (even if only in passing) - there have been none of them which I had not heard of at all - and all of the American subjects I'd heard of (OK, with both US and UK, I might not have recognised the name immediately, but when they said "he appeared in xyz" or whatever, I knew them!)
phantomsteve

PreviousNext

Return to Previous series of Who Do You Think You Are?