Moderator Control Panel ]

News on the American series

From Bill Oddie to Ruby Wax, have your say on past episodes of Who Do You Think You Are? here

Re: News on the American series

Postby ksouthall » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:43 am

AustenWodehouse wrote:While I think that it might not send the masses out to research that they are related to it might spark the interest in others who might go onto Ancestry.com and start a fascinating hobby that truly enables them to understand themselves and their family better.

This is why I make my tree on Ancestry and my other on Genes Reunited both private so people need to ask permission before adding my research to their trees.

Elaine

Ditto and ditto. I don't see any real harm in not showing how the informaton is found, especially if there is a website like this one where you can get advice.

I also keep my family tree private on Ancestry for the same reasons and also because I use it as a store for any information I am not sure of. Once the information is confirmed, I then move it into my Family Tree Maker database.

Katherine
ksouthall

Postby tegs » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:33 pm

Havent seen the new US version yet but from what i am picking up in the forum it sounds a bit egotistical. I hope not. I would like to see someone like Paul Michael Glaser or maybe Bruce Willis doing their family tree. I know it is a bit glitzy but if they did it properly no egos then it may be more interesting. They do need to show more of the history and how they found out about the family members they chased. Sometimes i think that we dwell too long on one family member and dont show the full history. Lets go back to the format used in series two. I think they just found it right in that series.
tegs

Re: News on the American series Episode with Brooke Shields

Postby Alexis » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:45 am

This one with Brooke Shields was my favorite one so far.

My favorite quote from this episode was when Brooke said “Being able to find your place in the grand scheme of things, there’s something empowering about it.” That sums up exactly what we are delivering to customers, personal empowerment, by showing the one and only place our individual ancestors fit in the unfolding of history.

http://familyforest.wordpress.com/2010/ ... k-you-are/

;)
http://familyforest.com
Alexis

Postby rebmamber » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:26 pm

Overall, I do have to agree that the American version is a little light on the research aspects of finding the information in the first place. They have also, due to commercials and the obligatory "racap" and "coming up" portion on either side of said commercial, been a little less meaty than the British counterpart. Having said that, I think that the episodes on a whole have not been egotistical on the part of the celebrities chosen and they have shown true emotions at the various discoveries. Since America truly is a huge melting pot, it has the potential to really trace all over the world if the show continues into a second season. Other than the African-Americans (Emitt Smith and the still-to-be-aired Spike Lee), all of the current episodes have traced back to Europe or America.

There was a PBS 4-part series in the US tracing American celebrity roots that I thought did a much better job at diversifying the type of ancestryfrom which Americans have descended. In this series, there are people of Native-American, Japanese, Chinese, Irish, German, Italian, African, Mexican/Spanish, Dutch, German/Russian Jewish, Turkish, and Syrian descent. It is different because the 12 celebrities are all spread out throughout 4 episodes, but I thought it was an interesting series. I'm not sure if it is viewable from the PBS website in the UK, but all of the episodes are online here (http://www.pbs.org/wnet/facesofamerica/)

I have many English, Irish and Scottish ancestors, so I am looking forward to catching the old UK episodes online!
rebmamber

Postby lesley.mazey » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:55 am

Like many people I was a bit cynical when I heard that there was a WDYTYA US. I had visions of loads of staged weeping and glitz from our friends in tinsel town.

But as an unashamed genealogy addict I will wtch and give it a chance. Having read the articles in the May issue of the mag it has made me a little more confident. And, to be honest, the UK series has had its fair share of luvvies and excess dramatics. :mrgreen:

Now I would be interested in seeing one on Christopher lee as apparently he can be traced directly to Charlamagne. But I guess the fact that this is already public info takes away the fun revalations!

Lx
lesley.mazey

Postby ksouthall » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:28 pm

I will also be watching the US series. For those who haven't received the May issue yet, the first episode is due to be shown on BBC 1 on Sunday 25th April at 9.00pm.
It looks like the epsiodes will be quite varied.
ksouthall

Postby irishancestry » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:49 pm

Great look forward to seeing the US series - Mathew Broderick's should be interesting in Ireland
Howard Kingston
Irish Ancestral Holidays
http://www.irishancestralholidays.com
irishancestry

Postby Emmeline » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:23 pm

ksouthall wrote:I will also be watching the US series. For those who haven't received the May issue yet, the first episode is due to be shown on BBC 1 on Sunday 25th April at 9.00pm.
It looks like the epsiodes will be quite varied.

I had a look on the Sky TV guide (on the television) so I could put it on my programme planner but it's not on there. There's a programme called Five Daughters instead. Has anyone got a paper TV guide for next week to confirm that it's actually on?
Emmeline

Postby Annie08 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:45 pm

Hi
I've got the Radio Times in front of me and that is also advertising 'Drama of the Week' Five Daughters 1/3. So if that is the case we won't get it in that slot for 3 weeks! (I've just checked the listing on Freeview and that shows 'No information' for anything at the moment). So it's not on. I was so looking forward to it. I hope they don't put it on at some strange time and with hardly any advertising and I end up missing part of it. I missed the beginning of Time Team last Sunday - because it has started later on in the year instead of January.

Annie08
Annie08

Postby Emmeline » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:10 pm

I wonder if they mean 25th May instead. It would make sense seeing as they're advertising the new series in the May issue.
Emmeline

PreviousNext

Return to Previous series of Who Do You Think You Are?