Moderator Control Panel ]

News on the American series

From Bill Oddie to Ruby Wax, have your say on past episodes of Who Do You Think You Are? here

Re: News on the American series

Postby Ezzie Bromwich » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:20 am

Well I have seen three programs now and I must admit either it is growing on me or I felt a deep affinity with Lisa and her father. The Holicaust effected the world in so many ways and to think that genealogy can still be done a little bit on the Jewish people, made me happy to see. The story this time was more realistic than the other two I had seen. I felt the first one was an over rehearsed nothing. I felt that the next one with Emmett Smith was basically showing how he hated the idea of the slaves and he could not release that thought from his mind. I just want to say it was not just the black people that were slaves sent to the America's. The Scottish, British, Irish etc were sent here as a punishment for some reason or another. And they were indentured, too.
I do wish they would have a basic this is how it starts for those that do not know how to start. Today my neighbor asked me to start her out. Just using the census in the USA I showed her four generations. But I told her it was up to here to prove and verify! Just because it was there one must document each generation. It is not always as it seems.
Well we will see what the next one brings to us. I do hope though that what was shown in the UK was better than what I have seen in the USA.
Ezzie Bromwich

Postby ksouthall » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:21 pm

Ezzie Bromwich wrote:I do wish they would have a basic this is how it starts for those that do not know how to start. Today my neighbor asked me to start her out. Just using the census in the USA I showed her four generations. But I told her it was up to here to prove and verify! Just because it was there one must document each generation. It is not always as it seems.

I am looking forward to the American series as it will be interesting to see some different history. I am hoping that it will cover a broader range of topics than the UK series has covered so far; e.g. Native American history, Asian, Polynesian, Spanish and Italian immigrants, etc. Plus there is the Goldrush, War of Indeendence, American Civil War, etc.

I also agree with Ezzie's point about making it look too easy for newcomers to family history. Furthermore, it is important to back up the censuses with copies of BMD ceritficates and copies of parish records.

Even then, sometimes certificates do not agree with what family members believe. My great-grandfather's birth certificate shows he was 3 years and one day younger than everyone believed. He celebrated his birthday on 30th August instead of 31st. When I originally asked my great-aunt, his oldest child, for information about our family history, she gave me his date of birth as 30th August, 1868. This is also the date my mum and aunts thought he was born. His birth certificate states that he was born on 31st August 1871.
ksouthall

Postby Ezzie Bromwich » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:58 pm

K Southall wrote: will cover a broader range of topics than the UK series has covered so far; e.g. Native American history, Asian, Polynesian, Spanish and Italian immigrants, etc. Plus there is the Goldrush, War of Independence, American Civil War, etc.
You know I wished it would but it does not seem that it will cover the different nationalities. I work at a college that is for all nationalities but the basic is Native American. Slowly I am learning their traditions and their heritages. I will admit it is nothing one will learn over night. For instance "He Honnie Washta" and I am sure I am spelling this wrong but it is as close to Good morning as I can get. And I am wondering if I will ever grasp the family situations for genealogy. Sometimes they do have a class in it and I for one will be taking it. And that is what genealogy is about, learning about the families, the countries, how the census was handled, how the certificates are handled, documentation on every item that you show. Not just internet searches but paper searches, searching the bishop transcriptions. Diligently trying to find the answers..Not giving up cause it has not been found. Or giving up because a date or the spelling is wrong.. Finding the answers, and validating them and continue on. I myself want a story to go with my genealogy and I guess if you look at it this way this is what the American series is showing...Not just a name but the story too..UMMM wonder if they could take the name Patersone and head into Scotland for me!!
Later, :lol:
Ezzie Bromwich

Postby Ezzie Bromwich » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:21 am

Well the fourth posting with Mathew Broderick was shown tonight. This was quite interesting to watch. And I was happy to see that it took one back into the Civil War. But I want it be known it takes a lot of researching, time and prayers to research the soldiers as they served the sides they chose. I must say that Footnote holds a lot of these records and did help me in this area of research a lot. And I know that this series is showing more and more that the information is available, it is just finding it. But I don't have the funds that can hire these people to research and come up with answers. What would have been wrong in showing the National archives for the USA and explain what and where and how to search there. We know that one can research Ancestry but only if one has the money to use. Or explaining about the sites with the blue book or the red book for services and which side was which how to use those documents. One can not always touch the originals. As he said they are locked in the vaults. And of course let us fly immediately off to France..find our answers..It does not work that way. Genealogy is research. We all know that. Certificates that cost a fortune, immigration records that cost, cd's and dvd's one buys to find answers. For those that are interested there are many research sites to use for research. But it is up to you to find the proof and to document. It is not the luck of the draw to have it fall into place immediately!
Ezzie Bromwich

Postby Caerportus » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:33 am

I am really looking forward to viewing the US Series, i've tried on the NBC internet site with no luck.
As far as i'm concerned, i'll watch any WDYTYA, they are the best of viewing.

How about the Irish & Australian WDYTYA?, can we get to view them also?
Caerportus

Postby ksouthall » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:08 am

Caerportus wrote:I am really looking forward to viewing the US Series, i've tried on the NBC internet site with no luck.
As far as i'm concerned, i'll watch any WDYTYA, they are the best of viewing.

How about the Irish & Australian WDYTYA?, can we get to view them also?

I agree with Caerportus. I am interested in any WDYTYA? and would love to see the Australian, Irish, Canadian and other versions, if subtitled, too.
ksouthall

Postby steve bannister 1 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:32 am

ksouthall wrote:
I agree with Caerportus. I am interested in any WDYTYA? and would love to see the Australian, Irish, Canadian and other versions, if subtitled, too.

I agree with Katherine,

I have seen the Australian version, and subtitles would definitely have been a benefit!

Steve.
Researching:
BAPTISTE - Tobago, then moved to Glasgow in 1870's
YOUNG - Glasgow
GALLER - Austria
DEASE - Ireland (Westmeath/Meath/Coole/Kildare)
BEARDMORE - Newcastle Under Lyme, Staffordshire
HAIGH - London (Originally Halifax, Yorkshire)
steve bannister 1

Postby Editor » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:43 pm

It's coming soon, possibly even end of April but we are still waiting for confirmation. We've got a series preview coming up in our next issue, but if you want to be sure that you don't miss an episode then sign up for our weekly e-newsletter which now updates you on what episodes of WDYTYA? are showing each week (plus any other relevant history programming). If you are registered for our website and don't get the newsletter, then you have to click on 'Your account' in the top right-hand corner and select 'Sign up for the BBC Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine newsletter'. It's free and I think it is fab (but then I would say that ;) )

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby AustenWodehouse » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:41 am

I have seen a few of the American, all of the Canadian and most of the British series. I agree that there is less time spent in the American version showing how the researchers collect the data. I can only conjecture the reason for this is the need to show commercials and perhaps that outside of PBS and Discovery channel viewers the interest in seeing how research takes place and how long it takes (including the times where you think you found somebody but then find out it is not your relative so you are taking two steps back) may not be that strong amongst most of the public. While I think that it might not send the masses out to research that they are related to it might spark the interest in others who might go onto Ancestry.com and start a fascinating hobby that truly enables them to understand themselves and their family better.

I have actively been tracing my family tree for the past 5 years, though I remember being fascinated with tracing my genealogy since I was about 10 or 11, when I saw the family info page in my Nana's family bible. I was not so much for the Bible itself, though I have always been an antiquarian and a bibliophile, but rather the interest was for the plethora of info on my ancestors (this was before the age of Ancestry.co.uk/.ca./.com). I agree that it can be an annoyance when others try taking you research and linking it to you tree without having any proof that they are related to you outside of a surname, for me to add other people's info to my tree unless the name of the person AND their parent/spouse/child or birth/christening date & place (whichever I know) need to match. This is why I make my tree on Ancestry and my other on Genes Reunited both private so people need to ask permission before adding my research to their trees.

Elaine
AustenWodehouse

Postby ksouthall » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:39 am

steve bannister 1 wrote:I agree with Katherine,

I have seen the Australian version, and subtitles would definitely have been a benefit!

Steve.

i would have thought you'd be used to the Aussie accent by now Steve.

Actually, I was hoping to see some ofthe European versions, with subtitles - good practice for language students.

Katherine
ksouthall

PreviousNext

Return to Previous series of Who Do You Think You Are?