Moderator Control Panel ]

Date of daguerreotype

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Date of daguerreotype

Postby eurogordi » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:09 am

Can anyone help date the attached daguerreotype picture? The original belongs to a cousin in Australia and I am informed it is behind glass in a mahogony frame, and is housed within a wooden case for safe keeping.

The daguerreotype process did not begin until 1839, so it cannot be Mary Delion Stump (nee White) (1775-1844) as originally believed because the sitter is too young. Others in the family have said it was her daughter, Mary Delion Stump (1797-?), but again I think she would be too old for this person.

There were other daughters, born in 1811 and 1817, so perhaps it's one of those.

Any advice would be welcome.
Attachments
1840c Mary Delion STUMP.jpg
1840c Mary Delion STUMP.jpg (100.37 KiB) Viewed 1035 times
eurogordi

Re: Date of daguerreotype

Postby paulberyl » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:35 pm

Daguerreotypes were sold in Britain from 1841 until c.1855. The surface of the daguerreotype plate was extremely fragile so the plate was usually inserted into a case or frame.

The hair style parted down the middle and worn in bouncy ringlets on each side is a typically 1840s style (although daguerreotypes from this period are very rare).

I am not very good at estimating ages but the subject does not appear to be all that old and therefore think it is more likely to be one of the daughters born in 1811 and 1817 and if I had to put money on it would go for the daughter born in 1817.

Paul
paulberyl

Return to Photo identification