Moderator Control Panel ]

Uniform help please

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Uniform help please

Postby marciamcg » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:31 pm

Hope someone can help. This photo is of my great grandfather Robert Joseph Gibson (centre) we think possibly prior to the outbreak of war surrounded by his brothers. From other posts I can ascertain that the men in uniform are in the army however I can't find out what regiment or ranking according to the cuffs, boot strapping etc. I have trawled through pages of records trying to find any of the Gibson's and as not all records print the middle names there is no way of narrowing them down. There are hundreds. However word has it that there were 17 children in the family and we don't know who served and who didn't. If I can find out any regiment details or even if anybody recognises it would help identifying them and hopefully solve a number of mysteries. Thanks.
Attachments
Gibson_1web.jpg
Gibson_1web.jpg (205.77 KiB) Viewed 1288 times
marciamcg

Re: Uniform help please

Postby steve bannister 1 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:59 pm

It would help if you could narrow it down for us.

Do you have names, a date of birth, place of birth, where they lived, anything?

Steve.
Researching:
BAPTISTE - Tobago, then moved to Glasgow in 1870's
YOUNG - Glasgow
GALLER - Austria
DEASE - Ireland (Westmeath/Meath/Coole/Kildare)
BEARDMORE - Newcastle Under Lyme, Staffordshire
HAIGH - London (Originally Halifax, Yorkshire)
steve bannister 1

Postby marciamcg » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:55 pm

steve bannister 1 wrote:It would help if you could narrow it down for us.

Do you have names, a date of birth, place of birth, where they lived, anything?

Steve.

Sorry about that. I'm new to the forum.
Robert Joseph Gibson born Sept 1879 in Hollingbourne, Kent is in the centre of the photo. His son William (1901) is behind on the left. (We think that he is about 15 in the photo which would make the photo taken about 1916). Roberts parents are James Gibson (1855) and Mary Ann (1855). It is known that he did not go into any forces. His brothers are also born in Kent and lived in namely Harrietsham, Hollingbourne, Lenham, and finally Milton.
Robert and two of his other brothers George Allan and John Thomas moved to London between 1901 and 1911 census's. Family say that John didn't serve although they may be mistaken. All seem to recognise him but he his in uniform (front right) which doesn't correspond with what we thought.
One of his brothers Everett Charles was killed in action in Alexandria on 30th Dec 1917 as a rifleman in the london regiment 21st (County of London) Battalion (1st Surrey Rifles). One can assume that he is one of the uniformed men in the photo.
However, there are the following known names which may be relevant Charles Henry (1887), Edward Peter (1889), Walter Alfred (1890) and James (1895). Hope this helps. marcia
marciamcg

Postby snaphappy » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:51 pm

Can not really help but the soldier on the left was a lance corporal and has two good conduct chevrons showing which would mean that he has been in the army between 5-6 years and had kept his record clean. The soldier seated on the right was a private and he also has two good conduct chevrons showing. Also showing on his tunic are three wound stripes just under the chevrons which would indicate that he had been wounded in action three times, one thing that is different on his uniform is the colouration of the buttons on his tunic. Whereas the other two have brass buttons which shine he has dull unpolished black buttons which indicate to me that he served in a rifle regiment. Hope it helps.
snaphappy

Return to Photo identification