Moderator Control Panel ]

RTC Farnborough

Showcase your research and chat about the latest issues within the field of local history

RTC Farnborough

Postby Marion Browne » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:58 pm

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with exactly what RTC Farnborough is.

I'm doing some research for my Uncle & his mother is listed as living in the married quarters at RTC Farnborough at the time of her death.

She had been parted from her husband who was in the military for about 16-18 years at the time of her death, so I'm not sure why she might still have been living on an army base, although I'm not sure that they were ever divorced as she was suffering mental health problems.

She was admitted to Hellingly Hospital shortly before she died as well, so was curious if the RTC bit was something medical or mental health related.

Any ideas please,

Marion
Marion Browne

Re: RTC Farnborough

Postby steve bannister 1 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:48 pm

Hi Marion,

RTC stands for Royal Tank Corps. Farnborough was one of the four original Tank Battalions.

David Mulberry/Mulbery was attached to the 2nd Battalion. Due to his name being misspelt, he ended up with two WWI Roll Cards, so I have attached them both. The 'blotch' on the first one looks like an error from the original scan, so I can't do anything about that, sorry. You can 'right-click' on them, save them to your PC, then play about with them yourself. Now you have his service number, you can obtain his full record, but you will see that the cards give quite a bit of detail.

Steve.
Attachments
D Mulberry 1a.jpg
D Mulberry 1a.jpg (105.57 KiB) Viewed 2163 times
D Mulberry 2a.jpg
D Mulberry 2a.jpg (81.46 KiB) Viewed 2166 times
Last edited by steve bannister 1 on Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Researching:
BAPTISTE - Tobago, then moved to Glasgow in 1870's
YOUNG - Glasgow
GALLER - Austria
DEASE - Ireland (Westmeath/Meath/Coole/Kildare)
BEARDMORE - Newcastle Under Lyme, Staffordshire
HAIGH - London (Originally Halifax, Yorkshire)
steve bannister 1

Postby Marion Browne » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:48 pm

Hi Steve,
Thank you so much for this. I had noted he was in the military but hadn't gotten as far as battalions etc so this is brilliant. He was also mis spelt Malberry, I believe on the 1911 census so he's not doing too well with his name.

Thanks again, this is a huge help.

Regards, Marion
Marion Browne

Postby gabrielnoah » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:54 am

I started my five year apprenticeship there in 1950 at the age of 17. Then I got the RAF to teach me to fly so that I could go back there on the course at ETPS in 1963. Over the years since then I have been lucky to work for the RTC in a variety of capacities, but the scene at Farnborough in the early 50’s was remarkable. During my apprenticeship I kept a list of all the aircraft types (not marks) that I saw on the airfield. It totalled 104. Not so long ago I met the RAF Wing Commander who was in charge of flying at RTC when I was an apprentice. I told him about my list. “Wrong” he said “it was 106 -you missed a couple”.
gabrielnoah

Return to Local history