Moderator Control Panel ]

New Forum Category - Our own Personal Research Stories.

If you're having trouble viewing the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum on your computer, tell us here

New Forum Category - Our own Personal Research Stories.

Postby steve bannister 1 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:05 am

It seems to me that we all have a story to tell about the people that we have found in our family trees, and I'm sure most of us think that our stories would make for a good article in the magazine, or even as an episode of WDYTYA. The chances are, though, that we will never be that lucky.

What I propose, then, is a new category in the main Forum Board Index, called 'Who Do We Think We Are?’ Here we could all post our own stories of our research. Our own 'episode' if you like. We could tell the interesting stories that we have found, and go into detail on the people that we have researched.

This would differ from anything else on this site, which mainly seems to be asking for help under different categories (Photo Help, Individual Help, Research Help, etc). More often than not, in these 'help' sections, people don't give you a lot of information about their ancestors or stories, but they still sound interesting. I've also noticed that some people’s questions go unanswered, and you tend not to see them again.

There has been a lot of discussion lately about wanting to hear stories about 'ordinary' people's backgrounds and history, so I see this as the perfect chance. Although there has been much hype about Michael Parkinson being dropped from WDYTYA, albeit much of the hype has been from Michael himself, I pesonally love the ordinary person's stories, although I do not wish to see Michael Parkinson on WDYTYA. Most of us are here because we also have an interest in other people's stories, not just our own, so I for one would like to hear other peoples stories in full.

Obviously I would have to insist to being kept on as Producer or Executive Creative Consultant or something if somebody ever thinks, 'Hey, there might be a series in this!', or gets picked up by the magazine, but we'll see what happens. I see the 3 'W's' from 'Who Do We Think We Are?' cascading down the screen and merging into the 'WWW' of the web address!( ;) )

So how about it? How about adding a section to this forum where we can tell our own stories, expand on our research and go into great detail. Maybe through our story telling, our research could help other people by giving them ideas to try on their own research. At the least, I'm sure all of the stories will be an interesting read.

Steve Bannister.
Researching:
BAPTISTE - Tobago, then moved to Glasgow in 1870's
YOUNG - Glasgow
GALLER - Austria
DEASE - Ireland (Westmeath/Meath/Coole/Kildare)
BEARDMORE - Newcastle Under Lyme, Staffordshire
HAIGH - London (Originally Halifax, Yorkshire)
steve bannister 1

Re: New Forum Category - Our own Personal Research Stories.

Postby Annie08 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:18 pm

What a brilliant idea - when do we get started?

We can then post up-dates/how the up-dates were reached, etc. That would certainly be a help to everyone, I'm sure.

Annie08
Annie08

Postby ksouthall » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:55 pm

Steve,

Yes that is a good idea. Plus it may help some distant relatives to find each other, which has happened a couple of times in some forums.

There is also the option of the Reader Story although as you are in Australia, the photo shoot might be more difficult.

Email clairevaughan@bbcmagazines.com with an interesting story and how you discovered it and you could appear in the magazine.

You don't get paid but they will probably send you a free copy of the issue with your story in. There may be a backlog of stories to run though, so if they do choose your story, it may not apppear for a while.
ksouthall

Postby steve bannister 1 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:04 am

ksouthall wrote:There is also the option of the Reader Story although as you are in Australia, the photo shoot might be more difficult.

Email clairevaughan@bbcmagazines.com with an interesting story and how you discovered it and you could appear in the magazine.

You don't get paid but they will probably send you a free copy of the issue with your story in. There may be a backlog of stories to run though, so if they do choose your story, it may not apppear for a while.

As I said in my first post, though, the chances of people getting their stories in the magazine are very slim, and the magazine's idea of an interesting story may not be the same as our idea of one. No disrespect, but the magazine has to include the stories that they think are the most entertaining each month. So, again, ordinary stories will rarely feature.

Our own section on this forum would mean that everyones story would get 'published'. Perhaps, at the end of the year, we could even have a poll and vote for the best story of the year. Just a bit of fun between ourselves.

Steve.
Researching:
BAPTISTE - Tobago, then moved to Glasgow in 1870's
YOUNG - Glasgow
GALLER - Austria
DEASE - Ireland (Westmeath/Meath/Coole/Kildare)
BEARDMORE - Newcastle Under Lyme, Staffordshire
HAIGH - London (Originally Halifax, Yorkshire)
steve bannister 1

Postby Editor » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:55 am

Well it may surprise you all, but we don't get inundated with stories! We do get more than we can use but we certainly aren't swamped with them. Nearly all of our mailbox is people asking for help or advice. I would particularly like some more women to appear in 'family hero'. Come on, there must be some women in your family trees that you are proud of!

We don't pay for stories, but for the reader story you get your expenses paid to go somewhere connected with your ancestor and take part in a professional photo shoot. Plus you get to see your story in print - of course! For family hero we are now offering a subscription to Findyourpast if your story gets printed so it is definitely worth submitting something.

Regards,

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby ksouthall » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:19 pm

If I'd known expenses were paid, I'd have tried to blag a trip to Waterloo or Bhurtpore when you did my reader story. Missed opportunity!
ksouthall

Postby Editor » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:33 pm

If only we had the budget we would have all turned up for the photoshoot!
Editor
Site Admin

Postby ksouthall » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:35 pm

Editor wrote:If only we had the budget we would have all turned up for the photoshoot!

You could have come to Luton instead. It wasn't as warm as India but was still a good trip.
ksouthall

Return to Technical help