Moderator Control Panel ]

strange address in 1841 Suffolk!

Showcase your research and chat about the latest issues within the field of local history

strange address in 1841 Suffolk!

Postby irondeb » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:14 am

I have been searching the family Bicker/s in Suffolk and found a strange entry for 1841. They were living 'In the Street, Laxfield'. There were other families listed as living at this 'address'. Would anyone know why this entry was like this? Were they actually living 'in the street'?
researching May (London and Middlesex), Wadley (London and Worcester), Newell (Dorset and Hampshire), Simmonds (no idea at all yet!!), Peters (Reigate), Packham (Kent and Surrey), Bingham (Middlesex and Hampstead) and Bickers (Suffolk)!
irondeb

Re: strange address in 1841 Suffolk!

Postby Tilliduff » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:09 pm

Was there only one street? What are the other addresses in the area? Do you get clues from perhaps browsing the description of the enumeration area?

I have a family who on the 1861 census are said to be living on the beach! In fact they were coastguard cottages with just a path leading from the road along behind the beach.
Chris

Browns of St. Erme and Grampound, Cornwall, Henwoods of Devon and Cornwall, Tilliduffs from East London, originally Aberdeenshire
Tilliduff

Postby irondeb » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:38 pm

Sorry to be a bit dense but how do you mean 'browsing the description of the enumeration area'?

Looking at the original image then moving forward a page at a time, there are others listed as 'living in church yard' then other people living in actual named streets so I'm a bit confused

Thanks very much
researching May (London and Middlesex), Wadley (London and Worcester), Newell (Dorset and Hampshire), Simmonds (no idea at all yet!!), Peters (Reigate), Packham (Kent and Surrey), Bingham (Middlesex and Hampstead) and Bickers (Suffolk)!
irondeb

Postby Tilliduff » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:19 pm

I'm assuming you are using Ancestry.co.uk? If not these directions will not apply but there should always be a description available. The first page of the census of an enumeration district is always a description, and it lists the streets in the area to be covered. In searching for Bicker in Suffolk the first to come up lives in Laxfield. Go into the original image, which is image 7 of District 10 for 1841. Click on "District 10" above the census page and you will be offered a description of the census area.

In fact in this case it is not helpful, as no streets are mentioned, but I usually like to look at the description.

I must admit I'm puzzled by people living in the churchyard and in the street - I haven't seen this before. Why should Laxfield have such a number of people apparently homeless? The people I found were employed, so you would expect them to have homes even if they were living in very cramped conditions.

Addresses were not really formulated at that time, as it was very rare for most people to get mail and formal addresses were not needed. But these people are mixed in with definite dwellings - I'm stumped!!
Chris

Browns of St. Erme and Grampound, Cornwall, Henwoods of Devon and Cornwall, Tilliduffs from East London, originally Aberdeenshire
Tilliduff

Postby irondeb » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:05 pm

actually I'm using findmypast. I didn't know which site was better to use and as this one gave access to 1911 (which is where I started because the only details my parents knew were some of their grandparents), it gave me a starting point.

which do you think is the better? I've noticed Ancestry seems to be being promoted by everything!
irondeb

Postby irondeb » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:26 pm

Just checked findmypast, can't get into the enumeration bits like you can on the early census, but I've just checked the 1851 census street details, searching 'in the street' and amazingly quite a lot came up ! The first one I looked at was listed as Alms Houses, in the street, Bramford. Obviously not as unusual an address as I thought!
irondeb

Postby Tilliduff » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:59 pm

That does seem to confirm that "in the street" does not mean that they are homeless! I'm so glad! :D
Chris

Tilliduff

Postby steve bannister 1 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:51 am

This is such a funny one!

There are only about 800 people in Laxfield today, in 1841 there were a lot less.

The main residential road, that led up to the church, was actually called, 'The Street'. And most people lived along there.

Take a look at the attached picture.

Steve.
Attachments
Laxfield - 1841.jpg
Laxfield - 1841.jpg (195.37 KiB) Viewed 4495 times
Researching:
BAPTISTE - Tobago, then moved to Glasgow in 1870's
YOUNG - Glasgow
GALLER - Austria
DEASE - Ireland (Westmeath/Meath/Coole/Kildare)
BEARDMORE - Newcastle Under Lyme, Staffordshire
HAIGH - London (Originally Halifax, Yorkshire)
steve bannister 1

Return to Local history