Moderator Control Panel ]

Tracing occupants of cottages

Showcase your research and chat about the latest issues within the field of local history

Tracing occupants of cottages

Postby Sandy60 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:50 pm

Can someone please help me, I have discovered that many of my father's antecedants lived in the same row of cottages over many generations. Where do I go to trace these cottages, as the families moved from one cottage to another whilst they lived ? I think they were agricultural workers cottages in the early years, but would like to find out more about them.
Sandy
Sandy60

RE: Tracing occupants of cottages

Postby keldon » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:13 pm

Sandy,

To save me typing it all here, I'll just refer you to one of the article on my site. This article applies to Essex but applies equally to most areas.
(I do not mean it to be self-promotion of my site. I'm just trying to help.)

I hope this is a good starting point for you.

http://www.historyhouse.co.uk/articles/houses.html

Keldon

historyhouse.co.uk
History of Essex
keldon

Postby Sandy60 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:20 pm

Phil, thank you for your helpful advice, it's given me a new furrow to plough. Another question, if you don't mind, as I don't live in the county where they lived, does this mean I will have to pay a visit to view the maps etc.
Your webite is excellent, very easy to find your way around and very informative. Some of the larger ones could learn a thing or two!
Thanks Sandy
Sandy60

Postby keldon » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:30 am

Sandy,
I'm afraid you will have to visit the County Record Office which covers the county where the cottages are situated, then you will be able to view the various maps. I have found the staff in any record office very helpful, so don't worry if you are new to this history detective work.

This website has some Victorian maps where you can view for free, but they are some times not always that clear. Click on the link 'maps' and then search for the location. There is a payment option for better quality printed versions, but these same maps will be available in the record offices and you will be able to copy them there.
http://www.old-maps.co.uk/

Thank you for your kind words about the site.

Hope this helps.

Keldon

historyhouse.co.uk
History of Essex
keldon

Postby Sandy60 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:23 pm

Phil
Thanks once again for your help. I will have to arrange a visit to see the records and at the same time, it will be an opportunity to view the Parish records and see if the cottages are still as I remember them. A good excuse for a trip away!
Sandy
Sandy60

Return to Local history