Moderator Control Panel ]

UNIFORM HELP PLEASE

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

UNIFORM HELP PLEASE

Postby patriciaberry38 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:48 am

Hello
Can anyone identify whether the uniform my Grandfather is wearing is ARMY or NAVY?
He was a Gunner in the Royal Artillery at Fort Fareham Hampshire in 1891.
We think this photo is from a later date.
He was a Seaman at some stage.
Thanks
Pat
Granddad-John William Woodside 2.jpg
Granddad-John William Woodside 2.jpg (119.25 KiB) Viewed 4956 times
patriciaberry38

Re: UNIFORM HELP PLEASE

Postby CarolAEB » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:08 pm

Hi,

my husband, Mark Bentley, is a militaria memorabilia dealer so I asked him to take a look at your photo.

He said if the collar dogs and belt buckle were a bit clearer he could have told you the artillery regiment for definite but, as you mentioned he was a gunner in the Royal Artillery Fort at Fareham, he thinks the photo is from that period of his career. His 'pork-pie' hat on the table is a clear indicator he's wearing an army uniform because they did not have those in the Navy.

The insignia on his sleeve denotes his 'trade' within the regiment.

Hope that helps. :)

Kind regards

Carol
CarolAEB

Postby patriciaberry38 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:37 pm

Hello Carol
Thank you for your help. If that Uniform signifies he was a "Gunner" in the Army he was only 19 in 1891 and I thought he looked a lot older in that photo. If he did go in the Navy it must have been later. In 1906 when he married he was a "Telegraphist".
Thanks again
Pat
patriciaberry38

Postby clivus43ad » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:08 pm

Hi Pat,
Looking at the collar dogs I would say they are "Bombs" or "Grenades" which would tend to indicate Artillery or Engineers. As you have already stated he was a gunner, then I would go for Artillery. In any case, the uniform is definitely Army and not Navy. Having read your other replies, we all seem to be of the same opinion.
Cheers
Clive.
Clive
clivus43ad

Postby natchuff » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:58 pm

Hi,

I believe that the picture is that of a Gunner from the Royal Artillery of the 1880-1890's period. The uniform tunic he wares is the dress tunic, it would have been dark blue in colour, with nine brass buttons down the front, which would have had the Artillery gun and the Victorian Crown above. On the bottom of the left sleeve can be seen the Austrian Knott. Above are two badges: The cross guns, which I believe are the Gun Layers badge, showing that he would have attended a course at the gunnery school. The one above (cross flags) is one for signalling. On his collar, which would have been red, can be seen the two flaming grenade badges of the Royal Artillery. On the table to his left is his other ranks pill-box cap. This would have been dark blue, with a gold band around the edge, and a gold flat button in the middle of the crown.

It was interesting you said that he was at Fort Fareham in the 1891 census. Do you know if he was in RGA (Royal Garrison Artillery), whilst at Fort Fareham? Although by the 1890's the fort was well beyond being part of the defences of the land, it would have been used as a barracks, together with some caretaker staff.

I am a member of the Palmerston Forts Society, a group who has interest in the Victorian fortifications of Britain and the Empire. If you wish to know more about Fort Fareham please take a look at: www.palmerstonforts.org.uk.

Regards,
Duncan
natchuff

Postby patriciaberry38 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:46 am

Hello Clive
I have only just noticed your reply to my question. Thank you very much for your information. There is another reply after yours who says it is Royal Artillery as well.
Regards

Pat
clivus43ad wrote:Hi Pat,
Looking at the collar dogs I would say they are "Bombs" or "Grenades" which would tend to indicate Artillery or Engineers. As you have already stated he was a gunner, then I would go for Artillery. In any case, the uniform is definitely Army and not Navy. Having read your other replies, we all seem to be of the same opinion.
Cheers
Clive.
patriciaberry38

Postby patriciaberry38 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:36 am

Hello Duncan

Thank you for all that information.

I have printed off all 7 pages of the 1891 Census for Fort Fareham Hampshire. They are nearly all Gunners with the higher ranks at the beginning. It just says "Royal Artillery".

On my Grand-Dad's Marriage Certificate in 1906 it says he was a Telegraphist but doesn't say where.

I know he was a Jacob's Biscuits Lorry Driver from 1911 onwards.

My brother remembers some talk about him being in the Boer War but can't find anything.

My Mum used to say the Woodside's were Seamen.

I remember my Grand-Dad giving me some stamps for my collection when I was about 8 (1947) and he told me he went on a big ship. One of the stamps is a postmarked 1898 Belgium one. I still have that stamp.

Anyway thanks for clearing up the question of this Uniform for me.

I will look at your website now.

Thanks again

Regards

Pat

I believe that the picture is that of a Gunner from the Royal Artillery of the 1880-1890's period. The uniform tunic he wares is the dress tunic, it would have been dark blue in colour, with nine brass buttons down the front, which would have had the Artillery gun and the Victorian Crown above. On the bottom of the left sleeve can be seen the Austrian Knott. Above are two badges: The cross guns, which I believe are the Gun Layers badge, showing that he would have attended a course at the gunnery school. The one above (cross flags) is one for signalling. On his collar, which would have been red, can be seen the two flaming grenade badges of the Royal Artillery. On the table to his left is his other ranks pill-box cap. This would have been dark blue, with a gold band around the edge, and a gold flat button in the middle of the crown.

It was interesting you said that he was at Fort Fareham in the 1891 census. Do you know if he was in RGA (Royal Garrison Artillery), whilst at Fort Fareham? Although by the 1890's the fort was well beyond being part of the defences of the land, it would have been used as a barracks, together with some caretaker staff.

I am a member of the Palmerston Forts Society, a group who has interest in the Victorian fortifications of Britain and the Empire. If you wish to know more about Fort Fareham please take a look at: http://www.palmerstonforts.org.uk.

Regards,
Duncan
patriciaberry38

Postby patriciaberry38 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:55 am

Hello Clive
I just thought I would let you and others who replied to my message know that I have now found my Grand-Dad John William Woodside's Army Records on Findmypast and have just found the medals he earned whilst in the Army on Ancestry.
He was in the Royal Garrison Artillery 1891-1903 and went to South Africa in the Boer War and then China.
Regards
Pat
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

clivus43ad wrote:Hi Pat,
Cheers
Clive.
patriciaberry38

Return to Photo identification