Moderator Control Panel ]

Photo on Vortex paper

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Photo on Vortex paper

Postby kazzablues » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:15 am

I wonder if anyone can help date this photo. On the original on the back it has 'vortex' imprinted on it, and by googling I found vortex is Kodak paper.
The wording on the shed says 'surfboards, deck chairs, huts, tents for hire'.
One of the flags looks like a Union Jack, the other says 'teas'. The word Refreshments is written on the big shed.
I have no idea where this was taken, but the clothing style differs, as the men in the back have shorts on, and the ladies thick coats.
The photo has been enhanced, so its not the original colour.
Any ideas on this would be great!
Attachments
beach photo - Copy.jpg
beach photo - Copy.jpg (46.06 KiB) Viewed 971 times
kazzablues

Re: Photo on Vortex paper

Postby steve bannister 1 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:08 am

I have a few similar photos to this, with similar clothes on the people, which I know are all between 1930 and 1950. Though personally, I would say more late 1940's. You could try taking the photo in to an old established photo shop. Some older towns still have these, but look for a shop or a photographer who has been around for a while. Their advert will usually tell you how long the firm has been established. The older the better, as they will have more experience.

Do you know where the photo was taken? Is that kiosk still there? If not, when was it there? It's obviously a little business, so somebody must have run it.

I would say that the best thing to do would be to phone Kodak and ask them when that paper was used. Photographic paper has a shelf life, and the older the paper, the shorter the shelf life was. I know that Kodak used to bring out new types of paper all the time as they improved the quality of it, and also used to change the names of the paper.

I used to live in Hemel Hempstead, and took 'O' Level Photography at school. Luckily for us, Kodak's UK Headquarters were in Hemel Hempstead and was the tallest buiding in the town. I've been on the roof of that building a few times to take pictures. Although Kodak have moved since, they are still in Hemel Hempstead.

So, I think that's what you should try. Give Kodak a call, and I would phone the head office number below. If anyone's going to know, it will be them.

Kodak Limited
Hemel One
Boundary Way
Hemel Hempstead
Herts HP2 7YU

Phone:
01442-261122
Researching:
BAPTISTE - Tobago, then moved to Glasgow in 1870's
YOUNG - Glasgow
GALLER - Austria
DEASE - Ireland (Westmeath/Meath/Coole/Kildare)
BEARDMORE - Newcastle Under Lyme, Staffordshire
HAIGH - London (Originally Halifax, Yorkshire)
steve bannister 1

Return to Photo identification