Moderator Control Panel ]

Dating of photograph

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Dating of photograph

Postby eurogordi » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:00 pm

Can anyone help date the attached photograph taken in Broadwindsor, Dorset. It is believed to be a member of the Symes family who ran the village shop - part of which is also in the photograph. The date on the poster looks like Tuesday, 25th July 1871, which matches the calendar for that year, but the clothing looks more like early 20th century. Any comments would be appreciated. Thank you.
Attachments
img008.jpg
Broadwindsor, Dorset
img008.jpg (46.38 KiB) Viewed 4315 times
eurogordi

Re: Dating of photograph

Postby snaphappy » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:26 am

I would agree this is not a photograph from the 1870's but one that is more in keeping with the 20th century. For starters the clothing is totally wrong for the 1870's as is his stance and the manner in which the photograph has been taken. Also the poster behind him for enlistment into the army shows a soldier in what looks like a service cap and dress uniform from the 1920's rather than pill box hat etc from the previous century.
snaphappy

Postby callbrian » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:50 pm

Hi
I have tried through Historical directories to find your Symes. The only Symes listed is in the 1911 & 1915 directories, John Symes farmer. Ancestry.co.uk has the 1920 Kelly's, although I could find no Symes for Broadwindsor.
I then 'Googled' Broadwindsor, there is a website dedicated to the village (see link below).
http://www.sanddancer.co.uk/dorset_info ... s_maps.htm
There is a contact email within the site (mailto:matt@broadwindsor.com) this may be of some help to you.
Good Luck.
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby callbrian » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:11 pm

Hi again,
I have checked onlineparishclerks for Broadwindsor, Dorset, they have Kelly's directory for 1931, no Symes there either.
Have you any other clue or perhaps it's not Bradwindsor?
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby eurogordi » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:33 pm

Thank you for the replies. I've been doing some further research during the last 24 hours, including contacting elderly relatives. The man in the photograph appears to be John Symes, who was born in Bridport during 1842 but from a Broadwindsor family. He spent his early years in Burstock, close to Broadwindsor, but between 1871 and 1881 moved to Winchester (Hampshire). Between 1901 and 1911 he moved back to Broadwindsor and must be the John Symes, Farmer, listed in the 1911 and 1915 directories. In 1911 his wife, daughter and daughter's illegitimate child are with him in Dorset. John Symes died in 1917 and his wife a few years later. His daughter, Florence Symes, is the one who family members say ran the village shop in Broadwindsor, but she left Dorset and returned to Winchester after the death of her parents. That would explain why Florence, who never married, is not shown in the 1931 directory and in 1911 she had not yet taken over the shop. But why she isn't in the 1915 directory remains a mystery, unless she ran the shop for a very short time around the time of her parents death. I've also found out that Lyons Tea, as advertised on the shop wall, didn't start until around 1894 so the photo has to be after that date.
eurogordi

Postby Annie08 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:25 pm

Hi
Not sure if it will help but I have a photo of our family shop taken in 1936 (the date is correct for my photo) and there is a Lyons Tea sign on the wall with the same lettering, I'm not an expert in Lyons Tea logos but how long they used the logo in that style may help. Perhaps it will be that or something else in the background which will help with this photo.

Regards

Annie08
Annie08

Postby Symes » Wed May 06, 2015 9:46 am

John Symes was my Great Grandfather and lived at the Old Manor Farm Broad Windsor. He had 10 children including my Grandfather George William. When my Grandfather was eight the family moved to Winchester, where George William remained and became Mayor in 1928. The parents returned to the farm to spend "the evening of their years" and celebrated their diamond wedding there in 1916. I have a number of photographs, press clippings and documents relating to George William's sibs one of whom moved to Canada where his son (Geordie) served and died with the RCAF. Regarding the shop I think there may have been a link to Ernest Symes (son of John Symes) who died in a motorcycle accident. I heard many years ago that Tom Symes (son of John Symes) "dropped dead while valueing the village Post Office at (Netherton?)" on behalf of his deceased brother. Another of John Symes children; Henry John, joined the Royal Navy and became chief Gunnery Instructor at the South China Station. For some reason I have the original copy of his Marriage certificate. On this John Symes profession is given as "Fly Proprietor". The only records I have of Florrie are press cuttings listing her attendances at family funerals.
Symes

Return to Photo identification