Moderator Control Panel ]

The future of archives

Showcase your research and chat about the latest issues within the field of local history

The future of archives

Postby Matt Elton » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:44 pm

The government has set out its vision for the future of Britain's archives in a recent paper, entitled Archives for the 21st Century. Our columnist Alan Crosby is still to be convinced, suggesting that behind the aspirational rhetoric there is a worrying focus on money-making at the expense of archival expertise.

What do you make of the document? Do you think its goals will provide for the future of Britain's historical resources, or are there other improvements you think are more important to help family historians?
Matt Elton

Re: The future of archives

Postby horlicks » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:39 pm

Does the Report say anything about the National Archives moving totally to Milton Keynes in around 2020? I know someone who works there. The staff know about it so why do we the public?
horlicks

Postby thoscurrell » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:11 pm

A move from Kew might be desirable - has anyone else noticed during a visit to TNA how near it is to the approach to Heathrow? All it would take :o is one terrible moment and what would happen to our archives?
thoscurrell

Postby Victor Nutt » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:49 pm

It's four years since this topic was first posted. Can I ask if Alan Crosby is more or less convinced about the future of Archives - National or Local? Finance still seems to be the driving force.

Victor
Victor Nutt

Postby LelandJackson » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:05 pm

Where is the document you are referencing?

I can't seem to find it online. Maybe I am missing it.

Any help would be appreciated.
LelandJackson

Postby junkers » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:34 pm

junkers

Return to Local history