Moderator Control Panel ]

Poor Law and elusive relative

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Poor Law and elusive relative

Postby clare_bear » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:45 am

porthlevenpixie wrote:Hello Clare!

I was searching ancestry for Carrie Williams, saw a place name pollegrain and googled to find out where that was exactly and found your thread! I hope you still check this thread as i'd love to hear back from you....i'd had a quick skim of the messages so apologies if i repeat anything you already know.

My Great Great Grandmother was Frances Allen (nee Pryor i think!), she married Thomas Allen and they lived at Lowertown and in Helston. Later on in life she married a Coombes....but we'll forget that part for now as it's irrelevant. Frances (or Fanny as we called her) had a daughter called Ellen, who is my Great Grandmother, Ellen's first son was illegitimate and he was called Joseph Henry Allen and he was brought up by his Grandma Fanny and kept the Allen surname - so he is not a boarder but a grandson. Ellen later went on to marry a Coombes and had many children but we believe she was very much in love with my Grandpa Joes father but for some reason, was not allowed to marry him.

My Grandpa Joe was brought up with Carrie Williams in Helston, as siblings, although they weren't blood related he looked upon her as a very loved sister, and my mum looked upon Carrie's children as very loved cousins! I expect they were very poor back then, but i do know there was a lot of love between them.

We were told that Carrie was born in 1900 and her mother died during or shortly after the birth - but as mentioned by others in the thread - if her suspected mother went on to have another child whom was also sent out to another family, maybe this was a myth created to protect the children? Was their mother unwell maybe? I also am researching to find out if there were any Pryor's in Carrie's family tree which may be related to Frances Pryor's family - how did Frances find out about Carrie in the first place?

Half a dozen other researchers on Ancestry have Crisilda linked to Carrie Williams - but how can we know for certain this is Carrie i wonder? Have you had any further luck since you started this thread?

Best wishes from one of your distant relatives (sort of!!!)
Karen

Wow, Karen, fantastic to hear from you! I haven't done anything on my family tree since I had my son (now 7 - ironic that my family tree hunting stopped after adding to it!!), but that's because of a lack of time, not a lack of interest. Also, although we can't be 100% sure, I guess, I am as sure as I can be that this is our Carrie! And now, you've tied it all together with your Grandpa Joe Allen. I'll talk to my great aunt who is Carrie's daughter about all this, but I'm, pretty sure she told me about Joe Allen and her mum.

I'll have to find time to re-read all this and refresh my memory about it all, but if you'd like to carry on talking about this, send me a private message and I'll give you my email address. The info I found on Carrie was very hard to piece together, but thanks to some wonderful people on here and stumbling across another long-lost relative, we pieced together the Pollengrain info and uncovered a load of skeletons in closets - illegitimacy seems to be the norm at that time!

So glad you came across my posts, this is all truely fascinating!
Clare
clare_bear

Postby porthlevenpixie » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:02 pm

Hi Clare,

Trying to PM you but keeps telling me my message is Spammy! cheek! If you have better luck with it could you PM me your email and i'll send you an email back! xx
porthlevenpixie

Postby clare_bear » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:12 pm

porthlevenpixie wrote:Hi Clare,

Trying to PM you but keeps telling me my message is Spammy! cheek! If you have better luck with it could you PM me your email and i'll send you an email back! xx

Hopefully, done!
clare_bear

Previous

Return to General research queries