Moderator Control Panel ]

Graves

Showcase your research and chat about the latest issues within the field of local history

Graves

Postby vinniecp » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:49 pm

Can anyone tell which is a good website that will help me locate family Graves
vinniecp

Re: Graves

Postby Phil Knight » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:46 am

The most concise answer I'm aware of is "it depends"!
Findmypast has some old burial records which seem to tie people down to the church where they were buried, but there's no link to a plot number that I can see. And even knowing the church and year & then visiting the graveyard may not find the actual grave. For example, I know from Findmypast the year my ancestor Eliakim Stow died, and that he was buried at Bottesford Parish Church in Lincs, but I still couldn't find him. The families of poorer people, like Elaiaim, may not have been able to afford any monument, or monuments may have been removed later on for safety reasons. A correspondent on this site did however suggest that local Womens' Institutes may have recorded memorials before their removal - something I haven't yet tested.
Some local authorities, or indeed "friends" of graveyards, have websites where you may be able to make some progress as to people buried in individual plots, but I'm not 100% certain about the timespan they would cover. I'm certainly not aware of any single point of reference.
If you know where they were living before death, i.e. by at least finding the registration district from one of the websites (FreeBMD is worth a try, although it is not complete) if not working from the actual death certificate, you could start with the relevant local authority's website.
I hope these suggestions are at least some help. Best of luck.

Phil
Researching Knight, Norton and Perkins from Leicester, Stow, Frankish, Fulstow, Empringham, Gleadle & others from Lincolnshire, Wells & related families in Nottinghamshire & Stampers from Kirkbymoorside & area.
Phil Knight

Postby shezzy » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:08 am

hi,

if you go to ukbmd.org.uk and select the county that you are interested in then anywhere where they have found records online for graves and memorial inscriptions will be listed - it may help.

once you have the county of interest and get to the links page you can narrow down the list by using the drop down list at the top of the screen

Shezzy
shezzy

Postby vinniecp » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:54 pm

Phil Knight wrote:The most concise answer I'm aware of is "it depends"!
Findmypast has some old burial records which seem to tie people down to the church where they were buried, but there's no link to a plot number that I can see. And even knowing the church and year & then visiting the graveyard may not find the actual grave. For example, I know from Findmypast the year my ancestor Eliakim Stow died, and that he was buried at Bottesford Parish Church in Lincs, but I still couldn't find him. The families of poorer people, like Elaiaim, may not have been able to afford any monument, or monuments may have been removed later on for safety reasons. A correspondent on this site did however suggest that local Womens' Institutes may have recorded memorials before their removal - something I haven't yet tested.
Some local authorities, or indeed "friends" of graveyards, have websites where you may be able to make some progress as to people buried in individual plots, but I'm not 100% certain about the timespan they would cover. I'm certainly not aware of any single point of reference.
If you know where they were living before death, i.e. by at least finding the registration district from one of the websites (FreeBMD is worth a try, although it is not complete) if not working from the actual death certificate, you could start with the relevant local authority's website.
I hope these suggestions are at least some help. Best of luck.

Phil
thanks for your help very kind Vinnie :P
vinniecp

Postby vinniecp » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:56 pm

shezzy wrote:hi,

if you go to ukbmd.org.uk and select the county that you are interested in then anywhere where they have found records online for graves and memorial inscriptions will be listed - it may help.

once you have the county of interest and get to the links page you can narrow down the list by using the drop down list at the top of the screen

Shezzy
thanks for replying and your help
Vinnie ;)
vinniecp

Postby dizzybint » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:46 pm

I went on a hunt last weekend for a lady in England who wanted to see her grandparents graves in Glasgow she had the full name and dates, lair no. and section .. and I asked for help at the graveyard and was taken by workers to the grave within minutes.. this was a success because of detailsthat this person got from the Arichdiosece in Glasgow..
dizzybint

Postby stooooman » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:07 pm

Hi,

You dont mention what area you are looking at, but http://www.gravestonephotos.com/index.php has now some coverage and free photos of lots of headstones in the UK and abroad!

Stuart
stooooman

Postby Guy » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:21 pm

My Monumental Inscriptions website has a few links and transcriptions on it.
Unfortunately it is a bit out of date now as I don't have time to update it now.
Cheers
Guy
PS should have added the url
http://www.framland.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.
Guy

Postby Emmeline » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:52 pm

Have you tried www.deceasedonline.com? Although you have to pay to view anything, you can search for free.
Emmeline

Postby ceedee » Fri May 20, 2011 2:10 pm

Just in case you have any relatives in Belfast, the local council now have a searchable database of those buried in Belfast City Cemetery http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialrecords/
I have found a few relatives that I didn't know existed including a still born aunt and uncle
Christine
ceedee

Next

Return to Local history