Moderator Control Panel ]

WW1 Photo Help

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

WW1 Photo Help

Postby juliemuirhead49 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:08 pm

Hi

I have just been sent this photo sorry it is not a very high quality picture. Can anyone tell me anything about the uniform, I believe the person in it was in the Artillery, the helmet he is holding intrigues me as none of the other family photos have anyone with one of those. Anything that anyone can tell me would be very helpful.

Many thanks,
Julie
Attachments
scan0009.jpg
scan0009.jpg (95.62 KiB) Viewed 1513 times
juliemuirhead49

Re: WW1 Photo Help

Postby Angieboomoo » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:01 pm

Hi Julie,

I thought I would ask my father regarding the picture as he has served in the Army for many years and is good with uniforms. He thinks that this photo was taken in the Sudan when looking at the style of uniform and that the uniform looks to be kharki. The soldier is not Artillary. Artillary would not have a bandaler of 303 amunition around his person. Artillary had no use for this amo. The soldier is possibliy from an infantry regiment.When looking at his helmet there is a regimental patch on the side of the helmet. These patches were mainly used by the infantry and would have had a colour. From this you could identify the regiment.

Hope this helps

Angela
Angieboomoo

Postby photographwit » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:53 pm

Julie,

This photograph caught my eye!
Today I have had an order to restore 10 x WW1 photographs - (I am a photograph restorer). The customer is in the process of formulating a photograph album for her family. Many of the images she has found are from WW1.
I spoke to her only this morning and she seems very knowledgeable on her photos; when and where they were taken etc etc.

I am collecting her treasured (but rather damaged) photos tomorrow for scanning and restoration.
As I scan them in and bring out detail on screen, I will certainly compare them (uniforms/helmets/details/surroundings etc) with yours.

A long shot - I know! but her father was in the infantry. Worth a look (if the uniforms are the same, then it would be a great starting point for you).

Will let you know!
Warm Regards,

Roo,
http://www.photographwit.com/
(passionate about photos)!
photographwit.com
photographwit

Postby AdrianB38 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:34 pm

I hate to disagree with an old soldier but this chap could well be in the artillery in the First World War.

According to the Osprey Book "The British Army 1914-18", artillerymen serving the guns or on battery duty were ordered to carry 50 rounds of rifle ammunition (that was then - it may have differed later on). The bandolier is of the type generally worn by mounted troops - diagonal with 5 pouches on the front and 4 on the back (OK - I can't see the ones on his back!). In addition it looks like he's wearing spurs. I think....

And the point of all that is that soldiers in the Royal Horse Artillery and the Royal Field Artillery "rode to work", so were kitted out like mounted troops. (Not sure about the Royal Garrison Artillery who manned the big guns).

I believe the helmet is officially termed a Wolseley helmet - used in hot climates, of course.
Adrian
AdrianB38

Return to Photo identification