Moderator Control Panel ]

Any suggestions welcome

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Any suggestions welcome

Postby colliehouse » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:39 pm

I am trying to make sense of the story of my great grandfather.
He is listed on the CWGC site and on the Scottish was memorial site as having been killed in action on 21 July 1917. The first picture is a press cutting of him and I am fairly sure it is the same man as in the second picture with his family. The problem is that the little girl in the picture was born on 17 August 1916 and the younger boy on 2 January 1913. I can't see that the children are the right ages and to have been photographed with their father before his death.
Any suggestions would be appreciated in trying to solve this mystery.

Henry McKinnon Marshall 1st.jpg
Henry McKinnon Marshall 1st.jpg (117.07 KiB) Viewed 1799 times
Henry, Annie and family - Copy.jpg
Henry, Annie and family - Copy.jpg (11.07 KiB) Viewed 1800 times
colliehouse

Re: Any suggestions welcome

Postby CDodd » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:16 pm

Just a stab in the dark but could there be other children they had you don't know of, perhaps they died at a young age and were never mentioned in the family ?
CDodd

Postby colliehouse » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:51 pm

Yes, very possible. The only certain thing about this man is the uncertainty surrounding his story!
colliehouse

Postby colliehouse » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:29 pm

Just an update on this subject in order to hopefully prevent others making the stupid mistake that I did :lol: . The little 'girl' in the centre of the picture is of course a boy. Having puzzled over it for ages my cousin finally realised it was his Dad. I had forgotten that in the early years of the 20th century little boys had their hair left long and of course no Scottish family would dress a girl in a kilt complete with sporan. What an idoit I am :oops:
colliehouse

Return to Photo identification