Moderator Control Panel ]

Gallaway - survivor of the SS Mohegan 1898 wreck

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

Gallaway - survivor of the SS Mohegan 1898 wreck

Postby wg284 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:37 pm

I am looking for ways to find out about my history. My great grandfather was onboard the SS Mohegan that sank off Cornwall in 1898. I have recently found the ships manifest, but his name was not there.

We think he was born around 1876, but don't know where, although we think in either St Lucia or Trinidad. The ship SS mohegan from sailing from London to New York. The ship had recently been called the SS Cleoptra which was built in Hull but suffered problems on its maiden vogage to the US and returned in August for 2 months of repairs and renaming.

How about this for a real puzzle - where on earth do we get the information from.

My 3 year old son is the last Gallaway to carry the name - it would be brilliant to know if it was right and where it came from.
wg284

Re: Gallaway - survivor of the SS Mohegan 1898 wreck

Postby shezzy » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:44 pm

hi,

there are some details about the ship on the St Keverne Local History site at

http://www.st-keverne.com/History/

- it may give an extra clue for you.

You could also have a look at http://www.ukgdl.org.uk/ which list hundred of websites - you can search by county or by category. You may find some other ships that he may have been on.

hope this helps

Shezzy
shezzy

Postby Carleen » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:47 pm

Hi!

Daniel Christopher Galloway was my husbands Great Grand Uncle. We were also told that he was on board The Mohegan, however death records tell us he was born in Trinnidad and Tobago. He is not listed on the official lists of crew and passengers and the lists state all on board except one house maid were American. Could he possibly of been a stow away? I know he married Harriet Emma Lean in 1910 and had four children. He died in Redruth, Cornwall 1939 age 63.

Carleen
Carleen

Postby Carleen » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:49 pm

Hi Again !

Interestingly Daniel Christopher Galloways eldest son was called Frank - the same name mentioned on witness accounts of the disaster. Could Daniel have named his son after this man ?

Carleen
Carleen

Return to Genealogy chat