Moderator Control Panel ]

List of Celebs turned down by WDYTYA & why

From Heir Hunters to Wartime Farm, this is the place to discuss other genealogy and history programmes

List of Celebs turned down by WDYTYA & why

Postby Frosty » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:34 pm

I would like to know which celebs or so called celebs have been turned down & why.

I think the forum should do a survey - I am sure loads of members would like to have their say. I want to know how to deal with brickwalls - how to get around them & using very little money.

Less programmes like the Davina McCall & Rick Stein ones.
Frosty

Re: List of Celebs turned down by WDYTYA & why

Postby ksouthall » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:27 pm

I was one of the people who actually enjoyed the Rick Stein programme as it gave ideas on other places to look for records.

I also felt that it covered the subject of his mother's divorce from her first husband very well. It explained the arrangements she had to make in order to obtain the divorce and put it into context, as divorce was not cheap and easy at that time.

Unfortunately, people who could not afford to obtain a divorce were left to either stay in an unsuitable marriage, live with a new partner or commit the crime of bigamy. If they committed bigamy, they condemned themselves to leaving their old life behand them, including any children that they may have wished to stay in contact with.

I think the programme makers do need to take care when dealing with skeletons in the closet, particularly for living relatives who may be affected by them. For example, finding out that your great-great-great-whoever was a criminal is different to discovering that your parents or grandparents were.

I think the celebrities that have been chosen have all had interesting backgrounds. Some programmes have been more interesting than others but the same can be said of any tv series.

Having just looked back at who has appeared on the programme since it began, I have come to the conclusion that I must watch too much tv as I have heard of every single person who has been featured. I obviously need to get a life!
ksouthall

Postby KayFarndon » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:00 pm

I have only just seen this subject and would like to add my thoughts.

I think that every family is interesting, as there is always something to uncover or discover, whichever way you look at. I think that the producers of the programme do look for well known personalities and I thought that all the antique related programmes televised have a wealth of presenters, whose family trees might be of interest to the general public.

I wonder though how many people have turned down the opportunity to take part in the programme!

I have not enjoyed the current series as much as the original format and I prefer the tree to go back as far as possible and not for the programme to open with an already done tree!

I am already watching past programmes as I know there will be something I have missed.
KayFarndon

Postby phsvm » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:11 pm

a few years ago I heard a talk by Nick Barratt about the making of WDYTYA and he said that one person who really wanted to be included was Michael Parkinson but the researchers couldn't find anything 'interesting' so rejected him. I assume by 'interesting' they meant 'make good television'.

Apparently it then turned out, some while later, that they did unearth something that in the original series would have made the programme but by this time they were striving for more unusual stories so it wouldn't have been enough.
phsvm

Postby pete25 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:12 pm

Most of the celebs who have been included recently have not been, in my view, entertaining.
I now want wdytya to start asking Jo Bloggs (none celeb) if they would like to take part.
I don't know why this programme is always directed at celebs.
Give us all a chance!!

Sent from my iPhone using WDYTYA Forum
pete25

Postby Tabithabenef » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:57 pm

Personal opinion as always - even later comment

Do the WDYTYA team actually read these comments?

Perhaps we can get the WDYTYA series makers to read some of our replies

A lot of people on various forums including Genes Reunited have all had their own thoughts about this series and the last one

We need to get the WDYTYA team to read some of these & see what a lot of people actually want

I do think there is room for both kinds of programmes.

Some stories that just feature one ancestor mixed in with some who feature a rounded theme
And show several people over three or more generations, with varying professions.

Perhaps we can get Michael Parkinson's back.

I am sure more than one person would like to know how to break down brick walls in various ways
And how to find contacts for different kinds of professions. We all need a little help and the more
Interesting the programme i am sure the higher the viewing figures.

I think the choice of celebs this year is really good – only one i had not heard of this time.

Not every viewer wants to hear about “ One amazing person” or how to make ice Cream
and how to play a banjo. The Amazing person for the celeb may sound just like an ordinary person
to most of the viewers.

At the moment this series seems to be dwelling on one subject, they could have used
Half the programme on a second ancestor - far too much time seems to be spent on one aspect.
Tabithabenef

Postby bisnett_argerakis » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:34 pm

I agree. I too know too many of the subjects. As a kid TV was a babysitter now it's a companion. Life is a sad commentary. Really enjoy the series and anything genealogy.[SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

Sent from my LG-D631 using WDYTYA Forum mobile app
bisnett_argerakis

Return to Other TV and radio programmes