Moderator Control Panel ]

Samuel Vidger (Somerset)

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Re: Samuel Vidger (Somerset)

Postby MoVidger » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:27 pm

MayHam and JMck - many thanks for your input. I'm working off the theory that Joseph and Ann are Samuel's parents. Apparently, there's an Ancestry DNA match connecting a descendant of their daughter Emma Vigor (born 1823 - Wellow) to a descendant of Samuel in the USA. So odds are that Emma is a sister of Samuel.
I know next to nothing about DNA matching, but I understand the match between the two descendants is 77 cM's. Is that considered a "good" match?

So I think the this will probably rule out the FreeReg baptism, but thank you for that anyway.

My Ancestry sub expired recently, so I am unable to view the Samuel's Death Certificate #2904. :(

The 1832 Passenger record for James Vigor won't be my Samuel, as the lad travelling is only 12.

Also, Samuel's 'Army Deserters' record is dated 1836. So was Samuel still in the UK by the mid-1830s? OR did the desertion occur while he was in North America? I believe the 32nd Foot were sent to Canada in June 1830. Hmm.

FYI: I do have Samuel in the US census from 1840 to 1880, plus several State census reports. His wife Ellen/Helen gives her birth place as "Canada" in one census. In fact, one or two of their adult children reference Canada as her birth place in later census records.
MoVidger

Postby MayHam » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:06 pm

My apologies for the miscommunication.

The Ancestry link is only to the New York Death Index, which simply lists Samuel's name, death date & place, and certificate number. You would have to write to the New York State Department of Health in Albany for a copy of the original certificate. New York is very particular about privacy laws which is why most of the records are not online.
https://www.health.ny.gov/vital_records/death.htm

I understand the Vidgers lived in Bangor, which is near Malone, and part of the census district of Fort Covington, I think. Both Bangor and Fort Covington are very small so am not sure if they have a Town Clerk? BTW, in New York State, sometimes there are separate Clerks for the Village and Town(ship) (aka the larger rural area). If you are interested in a marriage certificate for Samuel, your best bet would be to contact the Malone, NY Town Clerk who would know better what is available in the area. http://www.malonetown.com/contact_us.htm

Don't know if this is of interest?
Samuel Viger [sic] Dec 1838-Apr 1839: Canada British Army & Canadian Militia
Henryville Volunteers, Howard Volunteers, Huntington Cavalry, Huntington Volunteers, Huron Militia, Huron Volunteers
https://www.ancestry.ca/search/categori ... _x=psi_psx
MayHam

Postby MoVidger » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:31 pm

MayHam - thank you for the additional heads-up regarding the 'Canada British Army & Canadian Militia' record(s). I'll have to consider purchasing an Ancestry Worldwide sub to view them.

If Samuel was in Canada during the late 1830s, that could be the "missing link" for his wife Ellen. Their oldest daughter Sophronia states her mother's surname is "Laughlin" (on a marriage document), although it is badly misspelled. Also, I noticed older Ancestry family trees from a decade ago gave Ellen's name as "McLaughlin" and/or "Ellen Perry McLaughlin".

In the meantime, I'm going to research Samuel's parents a bit more. It appears a Cole/Coles family (Ann and Ruth's?) have a strong connection to Hassage Farm/Hassage Manor during the 1600s.
MoVidger

Postby DianaCanada » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:40 pm

Geographically, both Henryville and Huntington are near the NY border and Malone, NY is very close to what is now the border between Quebec and NY. Not surprised the British might have had militia there, following the War of 1812 and up until Confederation in 1867 there were numerous examples of sabre rattling from the US in regard to Canada.
It would have likely been fairly easy for Samuel to desert and cross into NY under darkness as most of the border would have been undefended.
DianaCanada

Postby MayHam » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:59 pm

Did a broader search for "Viger" in the Canada British Army & Canadian Militia Payrolls.

Found a Private "Sam" Viger in 1834 in Sgt. Allan McMillan's [likely Dundee, Quebec] volunteers.
In November 1838, "Saml" Viger was in Capt. John Campbell's [likely Huntingdon, QC] volunteers.
26 Dec 1838, "Sam" Viger was in Capt. Buchanan's Huntingdon volunteers.
Dec 1838, "Samuel" Viger made "his mark" in Capt. Patrick Buchanan's Dundee Sedentary Company.
A second Dec 1838 list says "Samuel" Viger was [likely] in the Huntingdon volunteers.
Mar 1839, "Samuel" Viger was stationed at Fort Dundee under Lt. Col. John Campbell with the Huntingdon volunteers.
Apr 1839, "Samuel" Viger served [likely] with the Huntingdon volunteers.
A second Apr 1839 list appears to be a duplicate of the above.
MayHam

Postby MoVidger » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:53 pm

Wow - thanks MayHam! :D At the risk of sounding clueless, what was the advantage of a soldier deserting the British Army and joining the Canadian militia (that fought under the British) during the Rebellions of 1837-1838?
If a soldier joined the Canadian militia, was he 'promised' land? Or was it actually a punishment for desertion: the soldier was put into the militia?
I'm also very intrigued with this: "Dec 1838, "Samuel" Viger made "his mark" in Capt. Patrick Buchanan's Dundee Sedentary Company". I wonder what Samuel did to make "his mark"?
MoVidger

Postby MayHam » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:20 pm

You raise some very good questions, Mo.

Militia service was mandatory for all local men between the ages of 16 and 60. A Sedentary Company was normally for those between 18 and 45 who are unable to endure the hardship. It's possible Samuel transferred from the 32nd foot to the Huntingdon/Sedentary Militia, if he was injured. Thus, the 32nd foot might record him as deserted. Communication wasn't the greatest in those days.

After the War of 1812, the British Government gave land in Canada to the soldiers in exchange for protecting the present border. Any man could join the Army in exchange for "The King's Shilling."

Capt. Patrick Buchanan’s Dundee Sedentary Company in December 1838 was the only time Samuel made "his mark" in the payroll lists. It may be a coincidence but on Samuel's will he also made "his mark," which usually meant illiterate or unable to sign his name.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1920234

Also, noticed his son, George, served in the War Between the States before being discharged for a physical impediment, spine maybe? He said he was born "Vigar."
https://search.ancestry.ca/cgi-bin/sse. ... lang=en-CA
MayHam

Postby MoVidger » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:07 pm

Oh yes, you're probably right. Made "his mark" could refer to Samuel being unable to sign his name.
His eldest son George Vidger, who served with the Union Army during the Civil War, is my 2 x great-grandfather. George died from injuries he sustained when he fell from his roof in 1874; which explains why he isn't named in Samuel's will. I've often wondered if George's army discharge in 1863 was due to illness or injury.
MoVidger

Postby MayHam » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:19 pm

Fort Covington
George Vidger...“Contracted chest”
http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/s ... 56%2C1956/

FYI: Sidney Vigar (mustered out as “Bigar”)
https://www.ancestry.ca/interactive/196 ... 9699-00339
MayHam

Postby MoVidger » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:44 pm

MayHam - thanks so much for the additional info today. Hmm..."contracted chest". Poor George.
MoVidger

Previous

Return to General research queries