Moderator Control Panel ]

WW1 Uniform Photo

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

WW1 Uniform Photo

Postby Verrico » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:22 pm

This is a family photo we can't identify, but is probably a sister/brother of one or other of our paternal grandparents. It was a large Italian family who settled in the East End of London around the turn of the century. We're only just starting to fit all the pieces together.

I think I've narrowed the year down to 1915 (the cap appears to be pre-"Gor-blimey" and the woman seems to be wearing the calf-length skirt introduced that year as women started to branch out and needed more practical clothing). From what I can tell, the three stripes indicate he's a Sargeant. I'm just wondering if there's any other distinguishing features that might help identify the regiment etc? Unfortunately I've only got a scan and haven't seen the original.

Any help much appreciated.
Attachments
mystery1.jpg
mystery1.jpg (64.18 KiB) Viewed 1991 times
Verrico

Re: WW1 Uniform Photo

Postby snaphappy » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:52 pm

Your photograph shows a sergeant of the North Staffordshire regiment. He is wearing the 1914 Pattern leather belt, other than that there is not much else to tell you about him from his uniform.
snaphappy

Re: WW1 Uniform Photo

Postby Verrico » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:14 pm

That's extremely helpful, thanks. I've managed to track down two men in my father's family who signed up: both privates, one with the London Regiment of the Royal Warwickshire Fusiliers (4th Battalion), the other with the Army Service Corps. But from what you say, it's not going to be either of them. At the moment, I have no other information.
Verrico

Return to Photo identification