Moderator Control Panel ]

Martin Freeman

Recently watched a repeat and discovered something new? Have a query about how the show is made? This is the place to have your say

Martin Freeman

Postby JohnS » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:11 pm

I found this an interesting programme tonight. A little bit about his grandfather (though strangely nothing about his father that died young) and a fair bit on his greatgrandparents. Is it the first time that the 1911 Census was brought in and the first time that Jenny Thomas got in front of the camera?

I knew nothing about syphilis. What a big effect it had on the family. Well done to those Victorians that helped blind people to live more independently.

What a shame that the series is already over.
JohnS

Re: Martin Freeman

Postby colliehouse » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:42 pm

I do agree it is such a shame the series has ended, roll on the next one!

I'n the dim and distant past I can remember nursing someone who had facial disfigurements caused by syphilis. It was a fairly effective way of ensuring that none of us young nurses got up to any mischief during our time off I can tell you.

It was a fascinating programme tonight but then I think they all have been.

Sally
colliehouse

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:17 pm

What an interesting programme! I can't believe they gave up finding Emily (the second wife) so easily. If Emily contracted syphilis from Richard she could have ended up in an asylum as syphilis can send you insane. If so, she would have appeared in an asylum under her initials - but there still should have been some sign of a death certificate.

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby houseworkfairy » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:06 am

Maybe they decided that the rest of the stuff they found was bad enough. It seems fairly likely that the third marriage where the certificate wasn't found didn't happen because the second wife was still alive.

However I found the medical stuff interesting although yet again I had that spooky moment as I knew Dr Vas Novelli when I worked at Nottingham Children's Hospital when he was just a young SHO. Nice to see he still has his Aussie accent after all these years and that he stayed working with kids. :)
houseworkfairy

Postby pre1837 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:47 am

Quite enjoyed this, the last episode of the series. This series seems to have been different to the others in that there is less research shown and a lot more of the stories of the lives of the ancesters. Unlike Heir Searchers, there is no reapeating every few minutes of items already shown. I enjoyed them all and am waiting for the next series.
Interested in the surname SNELL circa 1910, Middlesex. and Claudia Vail nee Snell, living and married in Canada from about 1912/16.

Any information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
pre1837

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:01 am

Can't claim the credit for this but on another forum, someone found an Emily Freeman on the 1901 census (born Petworth, Sussex I think) aged 46 working as a Domestic Servant in Buckinghamshire. She has called herself a widow. Maybe this is why they couldn't find the third marriage certificate? He couldn't legarlly tie the knot or be a bigamist? Perhaps his second wife just up and left him?

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby pre1837 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:54 am

Having already stated that I enjoid the prog., I couldn't help thinking that the report shown in the Army Museum just before showing his name 'engraved in stone' on the wall plaque, I thought that in the story, it looked as if the page had been doctored where it stated, allegedly, ...soldiers were killed including Freeman. Black lines arround the name, although the typing seemed to be the same, made me thing the name had been added at a later date. Why would his name had been singled out when it was not mentioned in the original battle reports?
Interested in the surname SNELL circa 1910, Middlesex. and Claudia Vail nee Snell, living and married in Canada from about 1912/16.

Any information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
pre1837

Postby Carol Ann » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:34 am

Enjoyed this program so much and so much more information given about the research too.
As I've commented on in previous postings there has been a lot of concentration on the story line
and not so much on the research and I don't think any of us have become blaze enought to think
that we 'know it all', and to me, this episode showed that I don't. Well done again on keeping us
thoroughly entertained for an hour but, again, not long enough.
So very sad that we have such a long time to wait for the next series.
When is the next DVD due out?
C.A.Williams
Carol Ann

Postby Annie08 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:25 pm

Thoroughly enjoyed this episode (although the whole series has been brilliant) especially. My Great Grandfather's family follow the same pattern with healthy children and then the decline in healthy children and this has opened up a whole new area for me to think about, although I don't think my local surgery would appreciate me taking a load of death certificates down to show my doctor! I use the internet or a very old medical book which list old terms! Even my Mum said that she thought one of her Dad's younger brothers had problems with his eyes - so this could all fit? - Back to the Parish Records me thinks!?

Annie08
Annie08

Postby ksouthall » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:43 pm

I really enjoyed the Martin Freeman programme. I thought it had lots of interesting stories plus showed a range of sources of information. I felt Martin Freeman asked really goood questions and unlike some of the other celebrities chosen, he seemed to be thinking ahead, for example, he was willing to contemplate the possiblity that Richard Freeman had had a family before his grandfather Leonard had been born, as Richard was in his mid-fifties when Leonard was born.
It was very interesting to find out how common syphilis was in the nineteenth century and has given me some more ideas of how to research infant deaths and the causes.
I hope the relative in Hull was able to have a preview of the show. In fact, I hope any relatives involved are given an overview of the programme before it is shown, so that they are prewarned of any pottential surprises.
ksouthall

Next

Return to General Who Do You Think You Are? chat