Moderator Control Panel ]

Martin Freeman

Recently watched a repeat and discovered something new? Have a query about how the show is made? This is the place to have your say

Re: Martin Freeman

Postby Luchon » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:37 pm

Like others, I particularly enjoyed this programme because of what I learned about social history, research methods etc., not because of what I learned about Martin Freeman. We are always being asked who we would like to see next - which puts the emphasis on the celebrity element - and not what we would like to see. Like "Planet Earth" could you not end each programme with the 10 minutes of "how we did this, how long it took and where you can get more information"? Even a compilation of dead ends would be informative. It's almost as though there was a fear at the BBC of being "too educational" with this programme. You do a good but brief summary of an era in the magazine - could you not also transfer this to TV- e.g what we wearing, doing, thinking, voting, singing, reading, drawing .... in 1841 or 1911 etc.?
Luchon

Postby Jenfa » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:09 pm

Not only is Who do you think you are a great programme. It's great for getting to know who your family are. I am Originally from Hull and Richard William Freeman is my Great Great Grandad. I am so happy that I can be related to such a Great Actor... My family and I are slowly putting together our family tree and this programme has brought us more then we could of ever found out..... Thank you Martin and the BBC

:D
Jenfa

Postby ksouthall » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:02 pm

I am glad Jenfa found out lots of new information from the programme. I think secretly, a lot of us would like to see some of our ancestors or their neighbours mentioned in the programme. Not because it would mean we were related to a celebrity but because it would be a nice way of finding out more about our own ancestors. (Unless there were lots of skeletons in the cupboard, of course.....)
ksouthall

Postby shallet » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:12 am

I have watched few of its episodes but can't watch it regularly now i am thinking to watch it again.
shallet

Postby cromarty » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:30 am

We watched this episode in Australia last night. WDYTUR is one of our favourite shows.

Th consensus of opinion was that the most interesting part of MARTIN FREEMAN's journey was at the end when he investigates the deaths of young children/babies in his family. Facts were discovered about medical problems of the day and professional medical theories given which were so interesting.

Unfortunately Martin does not have a wonderful personality and his reactions and questions in the show demonstrated this lack.

Felt there was too much emphasis on WW2 in the first part of this episode as naturally there are so many WW2 stories to be told, it becomes repetitive. An abbreviated version of the person's war record would enable research into other parts of the family's history, especially the blind aspect.

Not one of the best episodes, but then they can't all be good. :D

Regards Maggie
cromarty

Postby Gilly72 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:45 pm

Maggie - what a horrid thing to say about Martin Freeman!! Granted, he wasn't throwing his arms in the air, blubbing and trying to look shocked, but I think he seems a genuine and pleasant chap and his approach thoughtful. I hate it when I think the celebs are over-acting.
Gilly72

Previous

Return to General Who Do You Think You Are? chat