Moderator Control Panel ]

Can you help date photo please

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Can you help date photo please

Postby tracker » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:21 pm

This is a photo of my great grandmother Florence Rawlins who was born in 1881 in Garsington, Oxfordshire. Can anyone give me an idea of the year that the photo was taken, and whether her clothes give a clue about her social standing.

Thanks

Tracy
Attachments
Florence Darvell (3).jpg
Florence Darvell (3).jpg (29.05 KiB) Viewed 1582 times
tracker

Re: Can you help date photo please

Postby natz300 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:14 am

hi,
i am no professional so this is just my personal opnion. i would say in the picture she looks between 25-35 so that would make dates between 1906 and 1916. i also believe this person is from a middle class family (going by pictures my son brought home from school whilst studying the victorian era, few years later i know but is just a guess)

Natalie
natz300

Postby snaphappy » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:16 am

No good at judging the age of the subject but the clothing that she is wearing would indicate to me a date period of between 1905 and 1910. She has Bishop sleeving to her blouse with lace inserts to the cuff and main body area of the blouse, over the lace, on the upper body of the blouse, she appears to be wearing a detachable Bertha Collar. The skirt is seperate from the blouse and has a hemline that would appear to just be above the floor. By 1910 the hemline had risen to be above the vamp of the shoe which is why I have not gone for a date past that year. Is there any other information on the photograph at all? name and address of the photographer? Is the reverse plain or in post card form with a divided back? All, or some, of which may aid in dating the photograph more for you.
snaphappy

Postby tracker » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:40 pm

Thanks snaphappy, you've been very helpful again

Tracy
tracker

Return to Photo identification