Moderator Control Panel ]

Not Receiving Email Notifications

If you're having trouble viewing the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum on your computer, tell us here

Not Receiving Email Notifications

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:52 pm

Am I the only one not receiving email notifications when a topic I have posted to is added to?

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Re: Not Receiving Email Notifications

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:59 pm

Ok. I think I've now seen how to subscribe to a topic - it's not very bold and I think it would be better to place the option of subscribing or not subscribing when you make your post rather than afterwards with a small pale link at the bottom of the thread - but hopefully I shouldn't have any further problems with notifications now.

This is probably why the boards are quiet, forum users don't realise there are replies waiting.

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby Daniel Cossins » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:52 pm

Hi FHA,

Thanks for the note.

I'll look into it and see if we can make that bolder.

You're quite right, it's important that people know when their post has been reponded to.

For any other users, if you wish to be alerted when someone responds, you need to tick the 'notify me when a reply is posted' box below the field in which you write your message.

Dan
Daniel Cossins
Site Admin

Postby pre1837 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:56 pm

On most sites, this is a 'one-off' action found in the Profile Section. This then does the need to tick the box each time.
Interested in the surname SNELL circa 1910, Middlesex. and Claudia Vail nee Snell, living and married in Canada from about 1912/16.

Any information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
pre1837

Postby heritage_lover » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:24 am

FamilyHistoryAddict wrote:I think it would be better to place the option of subscribing or not subscribing when you make your post

When you make a reply, there's a checkbox just below the Submit button, in bold, that says "Notify me when a reply is posted".

pre1837 wrote:On most sites, this is a 'one-off' action found in the Profile Section. This then does the need to tick the box each time.

This site is no different - in the User Control Panel, go to Board Preferences, Edit Posting Defaults, and the option for "Notify me upon replies by default" is right there...
heritage_lover

Postby pre1837 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:42 am

Yes, of course you are right heritage_lover; it's been such a long time that I set up my preferences on this site, that I had forgotten all about it as I always get the notifications without a problem. Your message will give the answer to those who were unaware. :D
Interested in the surname SNELL circa 1910, Middlesex. and Claudia Vail nee Snell, living and married in Canada from about 1912/16.

Any information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
pre1837

Postby ksouthall » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:30 pm

Thanks for the tips. I have reset my default settings and also set the time to Greenwich Mean Time. For some reason, I was on African time even though I've never been there.
ksouthall

Return to Technical help