Moderator Control Panel ]

New Binding. Why

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

New Binding. Why

Postby pre1837 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:48 pm

Why has the binding method been changed making it less easy to bind the magazines in the Loose Binders? Now there is no centre of magazine to take the binding wire.
Interested in the surname SNELL circa 1910, Middlesex. and Claudia Vail nee Snell, living and married in Canada from about 1912/16.

Any information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
pre1837

Re: New Binding. Why

Postby colliehouse » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:39 pm

I hope this new binding is not going to split when placed in the binder due to the pressure from the rods. It also means that we will have to count pages to find the middle and if previous experience is anything to go by they are much more difficult to fit in as the spine is not as flexible. I suppose this is progress :(
colliehouse

Postby ksouthall » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:42 am

I guess the new binding might make it easier for people to look through a collection of the magazines, as the spine now has the date, title and some of the contents of the magazine listed on it.
ksouthall

Postby Editor » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:43 am

With the new binding there will also be a new storage system coming soon. These will be magazine file boxes (I'm sure there is a better, more technical term for them) which will enable you to see, from the spine, which magazine you want. You can then just pull out that issue of the magazine. Some people find the large binders we currently have rather unwieldy. The new spine should be just as robust as the old system. Do get in touch if you have any difficulty with them.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby colliehouse » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:42 pm

And I've just bought two new binders - grrr. :(
colliehouse

Postby pre1837 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:09 pm

I also have two spare ones!
Interested in the surname SNELL circa 1910, Middlesex. and Claudia Vail nee Snell, living and married in Canada from about 1912/16.

Any information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
pre1837

Postby Annie08 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:50 pm

I am just catching up on some of my Family History Magazines and noticed the different binding on the latest issue(s) and have read all the comments here. Personally I like this method as I prop mine up along a shelf. As it's not so rounded I'm hoping it won't slide down as much, but it also means I don't have to keep pulling them out and disturbing the others to see what is in the issue - I can just read the spine. Yes, the text is small but for me that is ok. Thanks WDYTYA?

Annie08
Annie08

Postby ksouthall » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:24 am

I have just upgraded my filing system from a pile on the work surface to a cardboard box so the change in binding doesn't worry me. I do think it is useful to have the details on the spine though.
ksouthall

Return to Magazine chat