Moderator Control Panel ]

Kate Humble

Recently watched a repeat and discovered something new? Have a query about how the show is made? This is the place to have your say

Kate Humble

Postby JohnS » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:11 pm

As there doesn't seem to be a sub-forum for this programme yet, I thought I'd start a thread here.

One of the best programmes yet (and I've seen every programme so far). It was exciting to see what she discovered and the facts and feelings that were discussed. The three men were all different, but her passion for them was so evident.

Often the best programme of the Series is left to the end of the run. Surely it can't get better than this?!
JohnS

Re: Kate Humble

Postby FamilyHistoryAddict » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:28 pm

I quite agree John. I was rivetted by this programme and really moved when Kate spoke as she did about her grandfather Bill Humble. I think we've all felt like that at some stage during our research.

Cheers, FHA
FamilyHistoryAddict

Postby ksouthall » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:08 am

I agree. Kate lived up to her surname when she found out about her ancestors. She came across really well and asked very interesting questions whenever she met people.
The programme also had a good mix of 20th Century history and covered the Victorian era too. I really liked the fact that they showed a good range of sources: censuses, certificates and newspapers.
I hope the rest of the series can live up to this episode.
ksouthall

Postby CarolAnn » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:31 pm

It was all very well for Ms Humble, sobbing over her great-grand-father's plea for his 'canny men'.

He survived and went on the found a grocery store - did she wonder how many of the the wives, children, mothers and sisters of the 204 men who died would have had the finances to start a grocery store?
Whole families of boys and men died in the disaster. It would have been interesting to see what help and support he gave to the families of his 'canny men' when he had his store up and running!

But once again; WDYTYA only looked at one or two generations of the family then the show concentrated on two or three main characters.
CarolAnn

Postby Lizhen » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:28 pm

I agree with Carol Ann about only concentrating on two or three main characters, as previously in this series, and would much rather they returned to the original format. It isn't the same programme now. I certainly wouldn't rate it the best series of all- so far.

Also shared the same thoughts and feelings concerning the families of those men and boys who died, some such young children, who must have been devastated by the disaster, not to mention being left with no breadwinner. Those were hard times and most of us researching our families want to know about how life was for them then - more interesting than discovering whether or not Kate Humble's great-grandfather was responsible for the disaster. Although of course I do realize that for her personally it was important.

My tears would have been for the victims and their distraught families - imagine losing a husband AND young children, perhaps also a father, a brother, in one disastrous accident. I can understand her empathizing with her great-grandfather's shock and horror concerning the accident, but just too much bone shaking sobbing in this particular instance. My tears would also have been for the horrendous march her other ancestor endured along with thousands of other prisoners-of-war.
Lizhen

Postby shallet » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:36 am

Hey John i completely agree you its one the best interesting show in current days.
shallet

Postby hannahchambers2 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:32 pm

Humble is well suited to this kind of TV - bravo.
hannahchambers2

Return to General Who Do You Think You Are? chat