Moderator Control Panel ]

My Boag family in Newcastle Upon Tyne northumberland

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

My Boag family in Newcastle Upon Tyne northumberland

Postby spondoolics » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:35 pm

Hello everyone

My Boag family have a long history in Newcastle Upon Tyne. My grandfather was orphaned at an early age and was sent to Ponteland Cottage Homes for a few weeks until guardianship was sorted out with his aunt. Most of my Boag family were engine/coach builders and painters. One of my ancestors Arthur Raglan Boag was a well known artist and painted well known paintings which I found on National Archives site.

I also have scottish blood in my veins through the mckennas from Glasgow in scoltand, they originated in Sligo Ireland. There were also the Patricks from Lanarkshire also.

I have got back to 1700 with the Boags and at the moment I am trying to trace the Reaveley side of family and have got back to before 1841. There are the Gibb family and my great great great uncle John Gibb was founder of the Royal Victoria Infirmary in newcastle Upon Tyne. There is a family rumour that we could be descendants of pilgrim fathers on the Mayflower to America through the Boag side through John Alden but I havent got that far back yet. See what happens.

x
spondoolics

Re: My Boag family in Newcastle Upon Tyne northumberland

Postby Robert m Russell » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:48 am

RE: Boag Family in Newcastle Upon Tyne.

Was Arthur Raglan Boag born on the 12 july 1885 and was married to a Susanna Armitage born 1857..

Did Arthur have 3 children Arthur, Everard and Alfred ?

I have a photo of Arthur Raglan Boag..

Not sure how this site works, only just got onto this today so you may have to bare with me. Is this page I have replyed to made public to all to see or is it kept private.

Would be great to find out more about Arthur Raglan Boag.

Talk soon
Robert m Russell

Postby StanleyF » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:51 pm

Hello,
Arthur Raglan Boag is my Great Grandfather and Everard George Boag is my grandfather.
Arthur did have the 3 boys called Arthur, Everard and Alfred.
I am interested in your links?
Thanks
Verna Stanley
StanleyF

Postby andyhopkins » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:18 am

Anyone related to Jane Boag b.1879, m.1898 to Edward Hopkins of Cardiff?
andyhopkins

Postby maybrick44 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:02 am

Hi there,

I am writing an article at the moment for Hastings Town about an Everard George Boag and am wondering whether mine and yours are one and the same? My Everard was born in 1883 and died in 1968. He was a wayfarer for the last 40 years of his life by choice and was a much loved character here in Hastings (hence my article). He served in the Royal rifles in 1904 and was badly wounded in The Great War. After being demobbed in 1920 he began his wayfaring way of life and came to Hastings in 1938.

If this is your George, (he was known as George here) then please get in touch as some background information on his family would be of real interest to HT readers. I should point out here that I do not get paid by HT so cannot pay for any information but I do have some cuttings etc on my George from the local papers here that you might like.

All the best,

Tony May.
maybrick44

Postby Robert m Russell » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:34 pm

StanleyF wrote:Hello,
Arthur Raglan Boag is my Great Grandfather and Everard George Boag is my grandfather.
Thanks
Verna Stanley

Hi , Think there is a match. My grt grandfathers sister Susanna Armitage born 1857 married Arthur Raglan Boag and had 3 children everard born 1884, Alfred born 1885 and Arthur born 1882 I think.Not sure how this site works so please bare with me..

Thanks
Robert Russell
Robert m Russell

Postby Robert m Russell » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:22 am

StanleyF wrote:Hello,
Thanks
Verna Stanley

Hi Verna,
My grt grandfather sister married Arthur Raglan Boag-she was Susanna Armitage. And yes they had Everard,Alfred and I think Arthur but he doesnt show up on the census! Sometime in about 1920's Alfred and Everard was in Africa.
Would be interested in hearing what you know about them.
Thank you
Robert
Robert m Russell

Postby Ruth Fairlamb » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:02 pm

I have two medium-sized oil paintings signed by BOAG (either S or G) painted in 1911 and 1904. They belonged to my husband's family. The family came from Amble in Northumberland. We know nothing about the artist. One painting is of a horse and his groom in a stable, and the other is of a bklack and white terrier-type dog lying asleep on a pink hunting jacket, which is draped over a chair. They belonged either to the Fairlamb family or the Baston family, both of whom came from Amble. I am trying to trace the artist who seems to be very accomplished and may have been well known in the late 19th and early20th centuries.
Do you have any information on this person?
Ruth Fairlamb

Postby nickboag » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:59 pm

Just found this forum and I believe I have a small piece of information regarding the artist.

My great great grandather was called George Boag (born about 1856). According to the hand written family tree that I have, he was a "Locomotive foreman and a painter. Well known as an animal painter. Member of Berwick Club"

He had three siblings - Alfred Boag (born 1851) who was a coachbuilder (St Mary's Place). John Boag (born 1859) and "Master painter at Falconer Street until 1910 & at 2 Picton Place at 1879-1887". Margaret Boag, Percy Street 1922.

My parents have 8 or 9 paintings by John Boag - mostly animals (dogs, horses in stables & sheep), a highland stag and one painting of people gathering sea coal with a cart. John Boag always signed his paintings Boag plus the date - the "B" of Boag was in the shape of a clover leaf - e.g Boag 1901

Hope this helps.
nickboag

Return to Genealogy chat