Moderator Control Panel ]

Army photo

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Army photo

Postby tracker » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:23 pm

Can anyone help with info on this photo of my grandfather Henry Alexander Parsons ? My cousin has the original which belonged to her late mother. It has written on the back of the photo a date of October 1932 and that he is age 19 (actually as he was born in 1915 he would have been 17). I believe the uniform is Royal Artillery, but no-one in the family knows of Henry being in the Army. I am intrigued by the background in the photo as to whether it was taken in an army building or a photographic studio. Henry was living in Fulham, W London at this time. Does anyone know if it is possible to get hold of army records from the 1930's ? Any help on the uniform would be appreciated.
Attachments
Henry Alexander Parsons.jpg
Henry Alexander Parsons.jpg (33.3 KiB) Viewed 1668 times
tracker

Re: Army photo

Postby snaphappy » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:27 am

You are correct in saying that your grandfather served in the RA. being that he is not shown wearing chevron's of any type then he would have been a gunner/driver the equivalent of a Private in over regiments. As you say that your family members have no recollection of him being in the force's at this time he may have been in the T.A. rather than being in regulars. The photograph it self lends more to having been taken in a photographers studio rather than on an army camp due to its backdrop design.

snaphappy
snaphappy

Postby tracker » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:45 pm

Thanks snaphappy. I will have to explore the TA possibility. My in-laws think that because Henry has a baton and stirrups (?) on his boots that he may have been in the mounted cavalry. Can anyone help me further on this ?
tracker

Postby snaphappy » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:53 am

It was common practise in some regiments for OR's (other ranks) to have this style of "stick/baton" when out of barracks. One story is that they had them to keep their hands busy and that it made them look more of a soldier than having their hands stuffed in their pockets (although what the uniform was for if not making you look "more of a soldier" I don't know :lol: ). The stirrups are part of his uniform and denotes his role within the unit, in this case a gunner/driver in the RA. True other regiments did have their personnel wearing stirrups for their role with horse's but there would be slight differences in the uniform, the most being the tribal markings as in the cap badge and collar dogs (badges on the collar) and any sleeve markings.

snaphappy
snaphappy

Return to Photo identification