Moderator Control Panel ]

IDENTIFY A UNIFORM

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

IDENTIFY A UNIFORM

Postby bryanfamilysearch » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:33 am

Can any one identify this uniform. Taken about 1916 in London. He has a riding crop in his hand and what look like spurs. His cap badge has a crown on it and there are pips on his shoulder straps. I have been told that he was in the Reserve Army because of his occupation.
john bryan abt 1916.jpg
john bryan abt 1916.jpg (107.73 KiB) Viewed 1881 times
bryanfamilysearch

Re: IDENTIFY A UNIFORM

Postby Verrico » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:44 pm

Hi - thought it might interest you to read the quote below and then view the image I've just posted and I think it'll make sense:-

"In the field, the standard dress for all ranks was khaki clothing known as 'service dress'. This consisted of a peaked cap, jacket and patch pockets, and breeches with puttees (leather leggings for officers), ankle boots, and spurs for mounted men. Dismounted men had no spurs and wore trousers instead of breeches".

http://www.westernfrontassociation.com/ ... d-kit.html

He does still seem to be wearing his spurs though!

I've also read that the uniform was green, rather than WWII khaki.
Verrico

Postby snaphappy » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:41 am

The only regimental cap badge that I know that fits the one on his SD Cap is that of the Royal Engineers with its laural surround surmounted by a crown, below the laural surround is the scroll work with the regiment name, Royal Engineers. Towards the centre of the badge is a belted garter with the motto Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense. In side this at the centre of the badge would be the Royal Cypher. The Royal Engineers would have been using horses (like many other regiments) at the period of when this photograph was taken so the evidence of spurs and a long crop (he has the handle of this resting on the floor and is holding the short leather end) would indicate to me that he was a driver/sapper. Has the photograph any other details such as name and address of the photographer or how the reverse is set out,plain/divided anything written on it etc as this may give a better idea of the date. As for pips I can not see any on his tabs.
snaphappy

Postby ehollis657 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:02 pm

I would agree previous comment about Royal Engineers and horse troops (as indicated by the crop, spurs and 'overalls' (trousers)) but would add that I don't think he is wearing an officer's uniform so no 'pips' but probably shoulder titles?
ehollis657

Return to Photo identification