Moderator Control Panel ]

Wow what an ancestor!

Talk about Davina McCall's episode of the show

Wow what an ancestor!

Postby Editor » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:26 pm

I really enjoyed that episode. It seems amazing to me that Davina knew nothing about Celestin considering how famous he was in his day. I even got the impression at the end that her mother hadn't known anything about him. I wonder if we can get Davina to feature him in our 'family hero' section in the magazine... hey ho, wishful thinking.

Don't forget if you missed the episode you can watch it on iPlayer or they are going to repeat it next Tuesday at 7pm on BBC2.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Re: Wow what an ancestor!

Postby worrals » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:33 am

Really enjoyed the episode.
I would be interested in a follow up by Davina for the magazine. I enjoyed Esther Rantzen's.
worrals

Postby Editor » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:01 pm

We were very lucky to get Esther Rantzen to write for the magazine. As a journalist by profession, she was keen to write up her own experiences. Not sure if we will have as much luck with other celebrities, but it is certainly worth asking.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby Ladkyis » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:47 pm

I enjoyed this episode, It was good to see how proud Davina was of her ancestors.

All these TV personalities make being in front of the camera look so easy, as if it is the most natural thing in the world. When I was filmed for BBC Wales "Look UP Your Genes" my tummy was churning and when I had to ask a question I could hear myself squeaking in fright! I have the greatest admiration for the celebrities who are, after all, exposing something very personal when what they usually do is act as another character in front of the camera.

I wish they would have a ccelebrity with a long line of boring ancestors, just to show that not all of us have interesting characters in our history. Some of us have law-abiding people who never got into trouble and never owed a penny so never got noticed.
First rule of Holes: When you are in one, stop digging!
Ladkyis

Postby Richard H » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:54 pm

Hi,
Just to add I really enjoyed Davina's ancestry - particularly James Thomas Bedborough - Stone Mason, Builder, and former Mayor of Windsor.

I've transcribed quite a bit of the earlier Editions of the Windsor and Eton Express (probably the finest regional newspaper of its day), and Mr. Bedborough , as he is often described, comes across as a great character. And it has given me some new ideas to try at the National Archive

One of own ancestors James Southwood (another Jas.) was a contempory of his at Windsor, also involved "for many years the foreman of the works at Windsor Castle and the Great Park during the reign of George IV"

He got into financial difficulties and was in debt to Mr.Bedborough among others in 1834, though he bounced back to be Windsor Borough Carpenter. If of interest - you can see the monument to Jas. Thos. Bedborough at the bottom of my webpage

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dutillieul/ZSouthwood/SouthwoodLinks1.html

And if you want to read more about Mr.Bedborough you can search in my newspaper transcripts here http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dutillieul/ZOtherPapers/Index.html along with an estimated 130,000 other Georgians and Victorians.

Best Regards
Richard Heaton
Richard H

Postby eman » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:15 am

very nice post i like this forum
eman
eman

Return to Davina McCall