Moderator Control Panel ]

Davina McCall – What did you think?

Talk about Davina McCall's episode of the show

Re: Davina McCall – What did you think?

Postby colleen » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:33 pm

Missed it! When will this episode be repeated and on which channel?

Colleen
colleen

Postby Daniel Cossins » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:25 am

Hi Colleen,

You can watch it again at your convenience on BBC iplayer (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... na_McCall/).

Alternatively, it will be repeated on Tuesday 21 July at 7pm on BBC 2.

Dan
Daniel Cossins
Site Admin

Postby boldham » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:37 pm

I enjoyed it - the first in a series is usually one of the best!

I've taken the opportunity to do some lunchtime surfing in the Times archive. J T Bedborough crops up again and again. There is a fascinating parallel with the Dreyfus case. In 1854 a Lieutenant Perry was court-martialled for assaulting a fellow officer. This was a cause celebre at the time (also reported in the New York Times). The London Times thundered against the injustice of the charge - Perry being severely provoked by his accuser in an environment where bullying appeared to be rife. Other officers appeared to have convenient lapses of memory over events that would aid Perry's cause; but took the opportunity to blacken his character. The public were outraged and a subscription was started for Perry's defence - with non other than J T Bedborough as treasurer! Over £2,000 was raised. It appears that Perry somewhat tarnished his reputation by spending against this sum (which he read as being raised in the Times), while taking a recouperative trip to Paris - and before the money was released to him. His brief notoriety also led to his waxwork model appearing in Madame Tussaud's
boldham

Postby ricardoylucia » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:02 pm

We thoroughly enjoyed watching Miss McCall. It was a lovely change to see her as herself.

My wife is half French, and said after viewing that it was lovely to see the French family influence within her formative years.

We have one criticism - we would have liked to have seen more of an in depth search on her extended relations.

A good start and hope the rest of the series is just as interesting.
ricardoylucia

Postby mgw61 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:32 am

So Binkie thinks Davina McCall is "not suited" to WDYTYA? Nonsense! Human beings are individuals. There is no "suitable" type for family history. It is open to all. I have hardly ever watched Davina McCall on TV. I've never seen "Big Brother". And yet I still found the edition well worth watching. And that's the mark of a well made programme.
mgw61

Postby ulceby1667 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:52 am

Enjoyed the programme and great to have another series . Very interesting but the programme was not realy about Davina's Family history but about just 2 of her ancesters. Although it was fasinating i felt I wasn't watching a programme about Davina McCall but two mini documentarys.
ulceby1667

Postby Annie08 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:31 pm

I wish to echo the sentiments of mgw61. I thought Davina came across very well. I've never been one to watch her in programmes but this changed my views. Am looking forward to the rest of the series.

Annie08
Annie08

Postby Frosty » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:03 pm

It was interesting but what about the rest of the family - this should have been a documentary on the 2 ancestors not used on who do you think you are. I wish the series went back to basics again and gave you a look at the whole person like in the first 5 series. I personaly don't think much of Davina or the programs she works on. She wasn't very natural & came over as very pushy. I was interested in the 2 gentlemen shown but would have liked to know what the great grandmothers were like and where they came from etc.

I hope the rest of the series is better & goes back to family history as a whole not just 1 or 2 people for the hour. I only really know Kate & thats only from Longlete show never really heard of the other ones.
Frosty

Postby colliehouse » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:59 pm

Just goes to show you can't please all of the people... :roll:
I thought the programme was great and have just watched the repeat which I also enjoyed. I had only rarely seen Davina McCall and didn't much take to her but this programme gave me a completely different view of her and I ended quite liking her.
Sally
colliehouse

Postby Carol Ann » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:47 am

We enjoyed the program and thought 'Davina' lovely, feeling and normaly 'modern'; we
are also looking forward to tonight's program which may involve more of a 'basic roots'
research?
Interesting as it was, I don't think many people are going to make very much use of the
content of this episode and there wasn't very much information given on how to research the
different areas.
The program seems to be drifting away from its original form.
C.A.Williams
Carol Ann

PreviousNext

Return to Davina McCall