Moderator Control Panel ]

New-look website and forum

If you're having trouble viewing the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum on your computer, tell us here

New-look website and forum

Postby Editor » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:47 pm

Welcome to our new-look website and forum. Although a lot of time and effort has gone into it, there are bound to be the occasional glitches that need sorting out. If anyone has any queries about how the new forum works, or they would like to suggest any changes, please either leave a message here or email me at: sarahwilliams@bbcmagazinesbristol.com.

There is an FAQ option (top right) which provides answers to the most commonly asked questions, so please check that your query isn't answered there first.

Otherwise, I hope you enjoy the new look and continue to get a lot of helpful advice from both the forum and the website.

Happy hunting!

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Re: New-look website and forum

Postby callbrian » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:02 am

Hi Sarah,
the new site is certainly more pleasing to the eye. When I finally got my brain into gear and used the correct link to change my password, all worked fine.
Let's hope it all goes without too many glitches.
regards
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby TinaK » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:41 am

Going round in circles on this new site ... first I have to login, and then AGAIN to reply in the forum.

I had set up an RSS feed for the local history page which now doesn't work because it requires a login every time ...

VERY frustrated.
TinaK

Postby Editor » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:35 am

I'll get someone to look into those problems.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby BobsyWobsy » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:38 pm

Tina is not on her own
need to find a guide dog,
Cheers Bob t.
BobsyWobsy

Postby Daniel Cossins » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:57 pm

Hi all,

Glad to hear that you are all re-registering. I hope it's not too much bother.

I think you'll all agree, however, that the new website is worth it. With a good blend of expert advice, celebrity features and social history, we hope that it will offer something for everyone.

And make sure you keep coming back because we'll be adding plenty more content of the coming weeks, from unseen footage of the latest series to practical advice on the best new resources and much more besides.

Please do feel free to make suggestions for the site either by emailing danielcossins@bbcmagazinesbristol.com or posting on this very forum.

I'm away this weekend (without internet access) so I won't be able to respond immediately. But I will address all comments/questions first thing Monday morning.

Please do explore every corner of the new site and let us know what you think.

Have a great weekend.

Dan
Staff Writer
Daniel Cossins
Site Admin

Postby jillynetter » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:37 pm

Excellent thankyou!!! For me the website is more streamlined and easier to find what I'd like to read.
Gill
jillynetter

Postby pre1837 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:55 pm

Like the new format and layout EXCEPT, I would prefer the 'Names and details' colomn back on the left hand side as before. Another Forum I visit made the same change when they re-invented their site, but due to public demand, they soon put the info column back on the left side of the page. After all, we do read from the left, and it seem natural to see the Author's name etc on the left. Otherwise, OK.
Interested in the surname SNELL circa 1910, Middlesex. and Claudia Vail nee Snell, living and married in Canada from about 1912/16.

Any information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
pre1837

Postby ksouthall » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:52 am

I agree with pre1837. It seems more natural to me to have the name of the author of each post on the left. I haven't had a proper look around the rest of the site yet but it seems ok from first glance apart from the left-hand column having been moved to the right.
ksouthall

Postby ksouthall » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:49 am

Am I being dozy or is it no longer possible to edit posts once you have submitted them?
If so, I am going to have to be much more careful about checking things before I post them as I usually make lots of typing mistakes!
ksouthall

Next

Return to Technical help