Moderator Control Panel ]

New-look website and forum

If you're having trouble viewing the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum on your computer, tell us here

Re: New-look website and forum

Postby callbrian » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:00 am

Hi Sarah,
after reading some other replies to the new website, I tend to agree regarding the 'post name' being on the left hand side. Also I noticed that I apparently joined in 1970, this must be an error!
Still think overall the site is an improvement.
Brian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby margaretabram » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:25 pm

Please tell me how I can view my favourite "Posts since last visit", which I always use. I find that I am just getting a load of stuff I have read before!
Mags
margaretabram

Postby pre1837 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:58 pm

Just looked and if your PREVIEW before Submit, you can edit.
pre1837

Postby pre1837 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:01 pm

Please tell me how I can view my favourite "Posts since last visit", which I always use. I find that I am just getting a load of stuff I have read before!

Seems to take quite a while (several hours) before it clears itself. Re my post above, once submitted and published, seem that you can delete it but not edit it.
Interested in the surname SNELL circa 1910, Middlesex. and Claudia Vail nee Snell, living and married in Canada from about 1912/16.

Any information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
pre1837

Postby Daniel Cossins » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:33 am

Hi all,

Thanks for all your comments about the forum.

We're working on the 'edit posts' function, so we should have that up and running soon enough.

With regard to 'posts since last visit' you can click on 'new posts' in the top left on the board index page. That will show you the most recent posts. Alternatively you can look at 'active topics'. Perhaps I'll get these bolded out to make them clearer.

I'm also investigating the possibility that we can move the names and details to the left-hand column as requested. I'll keep you all updated about that.

How about the rest of the site? What do you think?

Please do post some feedback. We're keen to make it a useful and engaging resource, so any suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks,

Dan
Staff Writer
Daniel Cossins
Site Admin

Postby heritage_lover » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:07 pm

I think it all looks very nice! :)

Edit: I just noticed, I do have an edit button on my own posts - this function is not missing?
heritage_lover

Postby Daniel Cossins » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:20 pm

All,

As you can see, we've taken your comments on board and put the 'names and details' in the right-hand column - back where they belong.

You should all have the 'edit post' funtion available and you can see posts since last visit by clicking 'View new posts' in the top left on the board index page (only when you're logged in though).

Please let me know of anything else and I'll do my best do sort it out.

Also, please do make sure you have a look at our revamped blogs section (http://www.bbcwhodoyouthinkyouaremagazine.com/blogs), which features blogs from the meagazine team, our local history expert Alan Crosby and a roster of expert genealogists including Else Churchill from the Society of Genealogists.

Between us, we'll be covering all things family and local history, from light-hearted musings to serious issues.

At the moment, there's a great couple of blogs about the current state of the National Archives in Kew, Surrey.

Please do get on there, read all about it and add your comments to the mix. That way, we can get a proper debate going.

Thanks,

Dan
Staff Writer
Daniel Cossins
Site Admin

Postby pre1837 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:08 pm

RE:- The avatar functionality is currently disabled.

When might it be back please? It is so much easier to 'pick out' contributers with their own evatars, (trade marks). Thanks for what has been altered already. P.
Interested in the surname SNELL circa 1910, Middlesex. and Claudia Vail nee Snell, living and married in Canada from about 1912/16.

pre1837

Postby Daniel Cossins » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:29 am

Hi all,

The 'avatar funtion' is up and running.

Unfortunately, we've not been able to move your orginal avatars across to the new forum.

But you can upload new avatars by clicking 'User Contol Panel' in the top left of your forum screen, then clicking the 'profile' tab and 'edit avatar'.

You can then give yourself a fresh new look and everyone else on the forum will instantly recognise your posts.

I'm looking into re-instating super-member status etc. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

Dan
Staff Writer
Daniel Cossins
Site Admin

Postby pre1837 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Thanks. Getting to look more like our old home again. Keep up the good work. Pete.

pre1837

PreviousNext

Return to Technical help