Moderator Control Panel ]

RCN archive website

Share your thoughts with your fellow family historians – and the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine team – here

RCN archive website

Postby callbrian » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:33 pm

Hi,
thanks to Tina Kelly for email about the RCN archive. I had an old photograph of a great aunt (who I knew nothing about) in a nurses uniform. I believe by searching the archive, I found two small mentions of her name. 1) Military & War nurse in 1916. 2) Qualified as a [u][i]midwife[/i][/u] at Plaistow Maternity Charity 1919?
I assume, from reading Jennifer Worth's fascinating [i]'Shadows of the Workhouse'[/i], that midwifery was mainly done by women helping other women with the delivering of babies, well into the 20th century.
Regards
callbrian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

RE: RCN archive website

Postby margaretabram » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:30 am

i was delighted to hear of this website with the archives. My great grandmother and my mother were both nurses and midwives. I was disappointed to find no mention of either of them. I know my mother was fully qualified as I have the certificates. My great grandmother had a long career in nursing and was a district nurse as well as a midwife. I am really pleased that some readers have had success though.
Mags
margaretabram

Return to Genealogy chat