Moderator Control Panel ]

Cover disk

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

Cover disk

Postby callbrian » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:53 pm

Hi Sarah,
I have just received the latest magazine. I am slightly disturbed about the comment (page6) 'removal of cover disk'. I for one look forward to the disk, it is invaluable to me, as I voluntarily help in a learning centre 'family and local history'. It is a free course to anyone who is trying to trace their ancestors. I carry a number of disks with me that have been saved from other publications and it is surprising how often I have made use of a disk.
The thought of online access, as other magazines have done; is mind boggling. Previous experiences mean you have to subscribe to each magazine, before you can access the information for more than 30 days.
Regards
Callbrian
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

RE: Cover disk

Postby margaretabram » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:30 am

Please keep the discs. I subscribe to other magazines who have now gone "on-line". I had a huge problem getting registered in the first place and have never managed to access the information since. What a waste of time and loss of resources. I am sure others have had problems too. It is simply too much trouble to remember all the log-ins needed and to battle with the difficult to use sites.
Mags
margaretabram

Postby colliehouse » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:03 pm

I do hope the cover disk is not withdrawn. I would make this plea on behalf of all the people who access the internet via dial up only due to broadband being unavailable or who, like me, live in an area where the broadband connection is so slow that it is simply not possible to view anything like the unseen footage online. Last time I tried to watch unseen footage on the web site it ran with one word being spoken and then a 10 to 30 second gap before the next word.

Sally
colliehouse

Postby Editor » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:43 pm

Thank you for your comments. We will take them all on board before we make any decision.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Re: Cover disk

Postby colliehouse » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:08 pm

I have just got back online after two weeks nearly going mad trying to get the computer sorted out and still finding I couldn't get online. At least I had the newest disk to keep me sane (comparatively!) once I got the computer back. Mind you the theory is that my broadband connection will be faster so who knows, maybe I will be able to see stuff online once I work out how :?
Sally
colliehouse

Postby laverydj » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:02 pm

I have just subscribed mostly because I use a lot of disc references in my research, I was unaware, when signing up, that removing the cover disc was on the cards, which begs the question, if I have taken out a years subscription and you decide to remove the disc, where does that leave me. Please do not go done the route of on line content only, it is much too restrictive for most peoples needs.

David
laverydj

Postby BobsyWobsy » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:35 pm

I do not want to see the CD discontinued I like to go back to them, this is not possble when online expires. it has not altered price on the other mags as was remarked on.
Bob T.
BobsyWobsy

Postby jobarnes » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:20 am

I am fairly new to this but can use a computer and cannot for the life of me get the cover cds to work on any the computers I have tried them in. Anyone got any tips?. I have tried XP and Vista although I do see it states vista support not guaranteed.

Thanks so much
jobarnes

Looking for Clark,Craik, Neave, Bowman, Stewart,Tulloch, Liddell, Thomson, Stronach mostly Scotland but Australia,NZ, Canada, and USA ,
jobarnes

Postby callbrian » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:38 am

Hi Jo,
there shouldn't be any problem with running the disk. It should atomatically load once inserted into the CD drive. If not try clicking on the drive in My computer or the menu bar. Then click on the WDYTYA icon which should then open the programme. Remember to click the I agree and click on whichever heading you wish to open. Make sure you have Adobe installed, if not it is available on the CD just click on Adobe download. Hope this helps you.
Regards
Brian :idea:
[color=#0000FF]callbrian[/color]
callbrian

Postby pre1837 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:12 pm

RE:- by jobarnes » 03 Aug 2009 09:20

I am fairly new to this but can use a computer and cannot for the life of me get the cover cds to work on any the computers I have tried them in. Anyone got any tips?. I have tried XP and Vista although I do see it states vista support not guaranteed.

Thanks so much

There were some problems of some people not being able to get the discs to run in the early days; I was one of them.
The Editor e-mailed me with a way of fixing my computer with a simple adjustment and after that all was well. I have looked, but unfortunatly cannot find her e-mail. Perhaps she might be able to publish it again.
Interested in the surname SNELL circa 1910, Middlesex. and Claudia Vail nee Snell, living and married in Canada from about 1912/16.

Any information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
pre1837

Next

Return to Magazine chat