Moderator Control Panel ]

Wounded Soldiers

Having trouble tracking down a wartime ancestor? Share your queries – and help fellow researchers – here

Wounded Soldiers

Postby lspop » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:10 am

My great great uncle was wounded in the first world war. I have photos of him at stages in his recovery, plus one of him and another soldier. Is there any way I can find out where he was treated? I also have the certificate he was given when he left the army but unfortunately he had it on his wall until he died (as he was so proud of it) and the sections filled in by hand have faded. I don't suppose there is anyway of finding out what it says?
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:00 am

RE: Wounded Soldiers

Postby lizjones » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:16 am

Hi, have you tried looking for his service record? It would either be at The National Archives (Kew) or online e.g. Ancestry. My g-grandfather's service record went up in smoke during bombing in WW2, so his no longer exists, but I wrote to the Regimental Museum (enclosing a donation for their time) and they were msot helpful - their records told me more than his service record would, including dates of his injuries/illnesses which they got from the Casualty Books. Holdings of Regimental Museums vary but from personal experience, they are well worth a try. If you do contact them, it's best to provide as much info as you can to help them narrow their search.
Denman - anywhere in the West Country but especially North Curry & Taunton
Fisher - Wedmore & Mark, in Somerset
Thomas - Minehead & Dunster
Willsman - everywhere!
Leighton/Layton in Gloucestershire & Herefordshire
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:46 pm

Return to Military help

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests