Moderator Control Panel ]

WDYTYA magazine in Melbourne, Aus?

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

WDYTYA magazine in Melbourne, Aus?

Postby Loretta » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:33 pm

This isn't really a feedback question, unless you count being a big fan of both series and show. I live and work in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. I've been buying the magazine since it started from McGill's Bookshop, a Melbourne institution of almost 150 years and one of my favourite places. With the heartbreaking news that McGill's is closing down in a couple of weeks, I don't know where to buy my copies of WDYTYA magazine - maybe someone out there who lives in my part of the world (Melbourne city and inner western suburbs) can help? I'm a member of the Genealogical Society here and they stock quite a few family history mags, but WDYTYA isn't one of them.

I'd like to subscribe but there are no special offers to make it particularly worthwhile for people who subscribe outside the UK (such as the 3 free issues that UK subscribers are entitled to) and 75 quid is a fair whack of money to be spending in these times, with an unemployed other half, in one fell swoop. There are no options for "spreading the cost", either, like UK folk have. It works out to about $155 for 13 issues whether I buy them monthly or by subscription.

Maybe I'll just have to give them up... sob!

Loretta

Loretta

RE: WDYTYA magazine in Melbourne, Aus?

Postby ksouthall » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:16 pm

Loretta,

I can see your problem. I think it would be worthwhile for the magazine to offer discounted subscriptions or spread the costs over the year for people outside the UK, particularly people in Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the USA, as there are many people in those countries who would be interested in subscriptions. Many of my distant relatives emigrated and started new branches of the family abroad. I am sure they would be interested if a good deal was on offer.

ksouthall
p.s. I live in England.

ksouthall

Postby Editor » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:40 pm

Hi Loretta,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner on this. Just so you know, we're not ignoring you. I'm just looking into how we could make our offering better for overseas readers. Apparently we can't process overseas direct debits, which is why you can't spread the payments, but we are going to see what we can do.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Postby Nev Carter » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:10 pm

I live in a country town near Ballarat, Vic, OZ. I just found the magazine issue May 2009 appear in a Ballarat newsagent.
I had not seen it on the shelves before while looking at other similar magazines. As I am new to researching I have been looking for ideas from these publications.

I bought as it had a Kent cover disk, and I have lost ancestors in Kent (they were not on disk).

I think it is a very good magazine and worth subscribing to. The current issue looks of interest to Australians as well.

I do subscribe to UK Tractor magazines who do give an incentive with free issues to gain subscriptions.

It seems strange that there is no incentive in this instance. And the price does jump over UK price far more than other UK subscriptions that I have.

Also, have you considered PayPal as a payment option over credit card?
Researching, Carter from Yorkshire, Elliott from Kent, Lambeth from London, Langtry from Liverpool and Ireland, Wishart from Cornwall and Virgo from Sussex.
Nev Carter

Postby Editor » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:50 pm

I will look into the PayPal option. Thanks,

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Return to Magazine chat