Moderator Control Panel ]

Please help date photo

Have you got problems identifying people or buildings in a photograph? Share your photo queries with other users

Please help date photo

Postby tracker » Sat May 30, 2009 6:13 am

The male in the photo is believed to be of one of my Darvell ancestors, but not sure if it could be George b1846 Hendon, Middx who was an ag lab. or Stephen b1855 St Pancras, London who was a pianoforte maker. Have tried to find out about Wakefield/Chief Studios in Ealing without success. Any help in dating photo may help to identify the male

Thanks

[image]local://945/969A3A3DB58F4A8DA2527399FE035593.jpg[/image]
tracker

RE: Please help date photo

Postby ksouthall » Sat May 30, 2009 2:50 pm

It looks like a studio portrait. I am not sure what date it is but looking at it, I would think it is more likely to be the pianoforte maker than the ag lab, although I could be wrong. It may be possible to get a rough date for the photograph by checking the London directories and finding out the date range for the Wakefield Studios at the address on the photograph.
ksouthall

Postby Reminiscene » Sat May 30, 2009 3:56 pm

Judging by the dimensions, this appears to be a Victorian Cabinet Portrait rather than the smaller Carte de Visite. Can you scan the reverse (if it's not plain) and post it here as that may help with dating?
[center][link=http://www.reminiscene.co.ukReminiscene]Reminiscene[/link] Vintage Postcards and Photographs

[link=http://www.forthefallen.co.uk] for the Fallen[/link]
British and Commonwealth War Memorials and War Graves[/center]
Reminiscene

Postby snaphappy » Sun May 31, 2009 8:03 am

Your photograph would date from the mid to late 1860's so I would say that it is of the Ag Lab who was born in 1846. He is wearing what would have been termed as "ditto style" of clothing whereby the waist coat and trousers where cut from the same cloth which was common for the period that I have stated, as would the woman's attire with the crinoline and shawl, her hair, styled with a centre parting and with a chignon at the back, would also fit in with this period as well.
As well as the clothing the important thing to note is that in the bottom left hand corner is the wording "reproduced by" which as it suggests indicates that the original photograph had been reproduced at a later date to when it had first been taken. In the case of this photograph it was thirty odd years after the couple walked into the original photographers studio to have their picture taken as Frank Wakefield (b1844 - d1929) traded from number 1 High Street Ealing from 1902 to at least 1904 (with the end date open as he may have carried on at this address for a period after 1904).
snaphappy

Postby paulberyl » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:10 am

Firstly I must say that I am no expert at dating photographs - but for what it is worth I will add my two penny worth.

Studio photographs of this period were very special occassions and therefore best clothes (Sunday best) would be worn. The fact the woman has her hand on the man's shoulder indicates a degree of intimacy. The pose is not dissimilar to wedding/engagement photographs taken in the 1860-90 period and given the working class background of both ancestors I would suggest it is most likely a wedding photograph (as such an important occassion could account why the photograph was reproduced).

Whilst photographs can be difficult to date from clothing (as above Sunday best would normally be worn which could be a number of years old) I agree with snaphappy that the woman's dress and hairstyle would indicate the 1860s. If I had to put money on it I would say that the photograph is George being possibly a wedding photograph.

Paul
paulberyl

Return to Photo identification