Moderator Control Panel ]

Staffordshire article - June magazine

Whether you've enjoyed a recent issue of Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine or have a query about the bonus content, let us know

Staffordshire article - June magazine

Postby pburston » Thu May 21, 2009 6:53 pm

I was looking forward to the magazine covering my home county of Staffordshire but was very disappointed with the article.
I understand that its difficult to cover quite a complex county in a short piece, but what was written was confusing, vague and just plain wrong at times. For example, there was reference made to the last coal mine in Staffordshire closing in 1968, that may be true of the Black Country coalfield but the last pit in North Staffordshire closed at Silverdale in 1998. Also Cannock Chase is most definitely not the largest forest in England (that's Kielder in Northumbria by some distance) and thank goodness as its natural beauty and historical value lies in its open heathlands. It's an AONB by the way (an 'Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty' - a legally defined designation to protect its landscape quality - one step down from a National Park.
Perhaps a much better map would have been helpful - clearly showing where the Black Country, the Potteries and Burton sit within the county.
pburston

RE: Staffordshire article - June magazine

Postby Editor » Tue May 26, 2009 7:10 pm

I'm sorry about those errors, I will look into them. We do have fact-checking in place for our Around Britain series and it must have let us down in this instance. I will feed this back to the author. I hope you have enjoyed the CD however.

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Return to Magazine chat