Moderator Control Panel ]

Dispatch Riders

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your brick walls here and see whether you can offer advice to others

Dispatch Riders

Postby EmmaB » Tue May 19, 2009 3:16 am

I'm trying to find out a bit more information about the role of dispatch riders during the World Wars. My great-grandfather apparently woked as a dispatch rider with the Army I think (please correct me if this is likely to be incorrect!) but I can't find anything in the military service records about him. I'm not sure if anyone employed as a dispatch rider would actually be classed as having undertaken military service so if anyone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

EmmaB
Researching Britnells of London and Inghams of Lancashire
EmmaB

RE: Dispatch Riders

Postby paulberyl » Wed May 20, 2009 3:43 am

Dispatch riders have always played an important part in army communications; initially using horses and, from the early part of the 20th century, motorcycles. During the First World War dispatch riders were provided by the Army Service Corps (Royal Army Service Corps from 1918). The RASC became the Royal Corps of Transport in 1965. in 1993 the RCT amalgamated with other service corps to become the Royal Logistic Corps. Their museum is at
Princess Royal Barracks
Deepcut
Camberley
GU16 6RW
England
Email: [email=query@rlcmuseum.freeserve.co.uk][u][color=#0000ff]query@rlcmuseum.freeserve.co.uk[/color][/u][/email]

The museum may be able to help you with the role of dispatch riders.

Also see [link=http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/categories/c55452/]http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/categories/c55452/[/link] which contains the memories of Herbert Handley a RASC Dispatch Rider in World War Two

Paul
paulberyl

Return to General research queries