Moderator Control Panel ]

Identity Theft Threat

If you're having trouble viewing the Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine Forum on your computer, tell us here

Identity Theft Threat

Postby gb4yzj » Fri May 15, 2009 1:46 am

I have just recieved June edition of magazine and again it was in a plastic envelope with my name and address printed on it. Usually anything with my personel details on it is shredded but I cannot shred plastic.

I would have thought you would have thought of the risk of Identity theft and either put a label on the plastic with names and addresses on or put it in a clear plastic bag with a sheet of paper in it with the name and address on.

The second way would be the best and if it was thought about you could also put adverts on the sheet of paper and it would mean that people like me could shred the piece of paper which would help with our personel security.

Christine
gb4yzj

RE: Identity Theft Threat

Postby Guy » Fri May 15, 2009 5:40 am

I suggest you are too paranoid, names and addresses in the UK are easily obtainable on CDs, on the internet, in local libraries and town halls. However to put your mind at rest it is very easy to shred the address by using a pair of scissors to cut it into a thousand and one pieces. Cheers Guy
Guy

RE: Identity Theft Threat

Postby Editor » Tue May 26, 2009 7:10 pm

Hi Christine,

I tried to reply to this earlier but my computer crashed when I posted the reply and I didn't check whether the message had got through. I now realise it hadn't - I'm sorry, I wasn't ignoring you!

BBC Magazines used to send out magazines in see-through bags with a paper sheet with address details, but we got an unacceptable number of magazines that were not making it out to subscribers and we believe that theft may have been involved. We now send magazines out in opaque bags so people can't see what's in it and 'non-delivery' has reduced significantly. It's also more environmentally friendly as there is one less sheet of paper involved.

Hope this answers your query and I'm sure a pair of scissors will destroy any evidence.

Regards,

Sarah
Editor
Site Admin

Return to Technical help